UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (21) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: valuefanRLA Big red star, 1000 posts CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75867  
Subject: Re: Tax Cut Bill Date: 11/24/2005 1:15 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
And it's particularly nasty if you're filing single rather joint return.

I think we're getting a little too caught up in the hype. To be sure no one likes the AMT, including me - simply because it means that I could end up paying more tax. However, I have prepared many a tax return and have not seen that many cases. True, the number of people subject to AMT will go up. Let me explain...

AMT itself is not a bad thing. AMT resembles (in a loose way) a flat tax, which so many people SEEM to be in favor of. I say seem because the minute you take away a person's "deductions" they throw their hands up in frustration. AMT basically takes away a lot of your "special" deductions, and re-calculates your tax at 20%.

Then, this tax is compared to your regular tax, which includes all your deductions. If the AMT is higher, you basically pay that amount. With the tax brackets coming down, more and more people will end up being subject to AMT. It doesn't mean that they are going to pay more tax than they did last year. It just means that the tax rate cuts won't have as much effect.

Finally, whenever someone is subject to AMT, the amount of AMT which is above your regular tax becomes a credit against your future regular tax, when you are no longer subject to AMT. (sorry, that wording is terrible - but I'm to lazy today to try and fix it). :-)

I guess what I'm trying to get at here is that AMT is not the end of the world. The media is hyping this thing, just like they do the flat tax. Oh, and don't get me started on the flat tax proposed by Forbes. What they don't tell you is that Forbes would basically pay NO tax under that system. But that's another story for another board.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Ryan
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (21) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Mobileye's Growth too Hot?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement