UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (48) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: Hawkwin Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 74759  
Subject: Re: Big Problems wth LongTermCare Insurance Date: 7/11/2013 2:41 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
And I've NEVER seen an insurance-sponsored study on the cost of LTC that subtracts out the monthly expenses the elderperson will no longer have.

And for a single person, that is very relevant. For a couple, not as much since the other spouse will still have their same expenses which include utilities, insurance, food, clothing, etc. on top of the new expenses for the room and board of their nursing home spouse.

I haven't looked at all of them, but most of the major insurers are getting out of the true insurance part of LTC by either capping annual benefits or capping payout periods...again like dental insurance.

Back when I was in this industry, circa 2002 - 2003, all the policies I worked with had such caps. I don't see that as anything new. Perhaps there were some with no limits and no caps but I never saw any.

I also don't see how this is any different than a car or home policy, which both also have caps.

as these go year to year with full portability between carriers.

How so? If you get cancer, you are not likely going to be able to apply to a new LTC carrier. If you get a DUI, your are also not likely going to be able to move your car insurance to another carrier as cheaply or easily - if at all.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (48) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Reestablishing the Middle Class
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement