Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (114) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Frydaze1 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 196932  
Subject: Re: He Lost 95% of His "Friends" Date: 10/15/2012 5:21 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
And not snooping through his mom's journal as a grown man.

Actually, that's the first thing that struck me also. It really bothered me that he'd do that.

I get it - there is a lot of prejudice against homosexuals in the Christian community. But there is support. You have to chose your friends well and communicate openly.
This guy was rejected by his friends and family. Family you can't do anything about.

But this guy was rejected by his friends. This isn't a Christian problem - the dude needs to do a better job picking friends.

True enough. Though it's hard to know what people will do in those situations*.

I can't say what would have happened while I was a church-goer. I can say now that if I announced I were gay, the only thing that would bother my friends or family would be the fact that I just got married last week. They'd all think that was a pretty crappy thing to do to him.

*This whole story hits me a little closer to home because I know someone it happened to. The guy was a gym-buddy of my then-husband's. Not a religious man that I know of, but I probably wouldn't have known. I didn't go to the gym, and barely knew the guy except through tDH. tDH had been mildly homophobic when we'd met, and I'd been working for 20 years to change that, with partial success.

So this friend announced one day that he and his wife were divorcing. Amicably. He was gay and had decided to stop trying to pretend otherwise.

Surprisingly, tDH not only didn't drop the friendship, but was deeply hurt that he was one of the few who didn't. He was shocked that so many people who had claimed such strong friendship with NowGayMan would treat him that way. I was incredibly proud that tDH (who wasn't known for being empathetic, or for putting himself to any trouble for his friends) worked extra hard to show his support and friendship for NowGayMan. It's like tDH tried to be the whole group of now-missing friends all by himself. And all homophobia disappeared. He realized how stupid it had been, and stopped.

NowGayMan moved about an hour away, to an area with a high gay population. He fell in love with another man, they moved in together, and the man died about a year later. tDH had meanwhile changed jobs so he was working in that area, and he and NowGayMan kept in touch pretty regularly for a while, until NowGayMan developed a close group of friends out there. He and tDH still run into each other now and then, but the friendship ran a very natural course to a gentle ending.

NowGayMan was one of the nicest, most caring people tDH and I knew. And to have so many people drop him over his sexual orientation was disturbing. But it made me aware that such things aren't as rare as we'd like to believe.

Frydaze1
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (114) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement