Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121146  
Subject: Re: I Took A Pension Distribution... Date: 11/15/2013 5:52 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
and the amount fell into two categories:

- "Taxable amount to be rolled over"
- "After tax Employee Contribution amount to be rolled over"

I received two checks, one for each amount, both payable to Fidelity, for me to deposit.

Now, that first one… the taxable amount to be rolled over… is quite understandable to me. I've deposited the taxable amount into a rollover IRA.

The second check confuses me.

That's understandable.

First, you need to ignore the previous response. You cannot roll anything into a Roth IRA except funds from another Roth IRA or funds from a 401(k) Roth option. We had that discussion in depth here not terribly long ago.

You have two choices for the after-tax contribution check:

1. Deposit it into a traditional IRA. The "rollover" IRA you spoke of will do; it really doesn't matter. That amount will then become previously-taxed "basis" in your traditional IRA. Subsequently every distribution from any traditional IRA account will be a combination of taxable and previously taxed funds. You can see how it works in Part I of Form 8606.

2. Since it's made out to you and Fidelity you can return it to have it made payable only to you, but I don't recommend that since then they just might withhold. I recommend you plop it into a regular taxable Fidelity account. Then you can decide what you want to do.

You should receive one 1099-R for this distribution showing the total of the two checks as the gross distribution and the difference between the two as the taxable portion. What you will receive remains to be seen.

Phil
Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement