UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (24) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: ScarpiaScarpia One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 176841  
Subject: And the World stopped for a moment.............. Date: 9/11/2001 1:25 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 93
I think anybody who has been inside the World Trade Centre can imagine the fathomless fear and despair of thousands and thousands of people trying to escape the dying building.

And anybody who has been aboard an aircraft can relate to the terror of those passengers who were taken hostage in the final minutes before the planes were deliberately crashed into the twin towers.

I have had so many calls from friends and clients and contacts here in Europe - people who wanted to share their horror and disbelief with what we are witnessing. The sheer size of the disaster - the carnage and the wanton destruction with such utter and despicable lack of respect for the sanctity of human life.

It is important that we understand that the response must be balanced and targeted against the ultimate perpetrators. It will not do us any good to retaliate on the basis of a wish for revenge. History proves that vendettas lead to nothing - except more vendettas. In Northern Ireland the two sides have been killing each other for so long that the 'original' cause of the conflict has long since been forgotten. In Israel/Palestine the atrocities committed by the two sides over the past 53 years have created such hatred and suspicion that it may take yet more wasted generations to reach a lasting peace.

While the entire world will extend its sympathies and ALL possible support to your nation - this is really not an act against the United States of America - but rather an atrocity committed against the very essence of our civilization and the democracy that your founding fathers fought so hard to first create and then defend.

I heard James Rubin comment that this was on par with Pearl Harbor in significance. Let then this be a similar watershed event and let us use this terrible disaster to double and redouble our combined efforts to finally and totally destroy the perpetrators of these acts of EXTREME cowardice.

While I personally can only begin to understand the grief of the people directly afflicted and the hurt to the collective psyche of your nation - I beg you in your speech and actions to support the efforts of the civilized world to eradicate this evil once and for all - WHILE ACCEPTING THE RESPONSIBILITY OF DEMOCRACY by being measured in our response to avoid collateral damage on innocent civilians to the largest possible extent - but at the same time be steadfast in or resolve to finally settle a score long overdue with the terrorists of this planet that we have to share.

Whether the acts were committed by right wing extremists aiming for 'racial purity' as in Oklahoma or by extremist fundamentalists committing these crimes 'In the name of God' the time is NOW for us to work together to end this madness.

The only thing all civilized people have come to realize is that there is no alternative to peace...............Now let us get to work and dispel the uncivilized ones.

Utter Grief

Scarpia
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (24) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement