Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 6
And to think - you could have taken them home and gone into the office.

You will remember your time at the batting cages your whole life. I have a feeling you will be telling that story at some reunion 25 years from now. Good for you!

My wife has recently been beating into my head that our kids are growing up. Our oldest daughter is fourteen. Our baby is now 7. It really is hard to believe how fast it goes by. Regrets are terrible things to carry around with you. I'm working on minimizing those. I'm working on collecting those memories so I have something to talk about someday when I'm rocking on my front porch.

I struggle with the balance of making ends meet and being there. We committed to my wife staying home with our kids. It was important to us. My wife especially wanted to be home to assure that there were some attributes of our kids life unlike hers as a kid. Its a tough row to hoe sometimes in a single income household, as everyone knows.

I'm getting better at the balance. I plan my work better. I take things with me to handle on the fly while getting to events for the kids. I try to leave work at work, and live my family at home. Two years ago I wouldn't have even considered the coaching gig. Not for lack of interest in doing so but, for perspective in what was possible. It has made for some trouble. But, you got to do what you got to do..... and I've come to the realization that my kids are the biggest gotta do in my life and putting food on the table is just the beginning of that.

Harry Chapin's "Cat's in the Cradle" put a lump in my throat a while back when my wife commented that the song was about me. That was brutal. But, I needed to hear it. I've resolved that when my son wants to play catch, I'm grabbing my glove...... and hopeful that someday he is more interested in a chat with me than the car keys.

The boys are easy as I relate. My baby is easy too, cute as a button and melts my heart, still playful and fits on my lap just right. My two oldest girls are a lot tougher. They are at that age where their world revolves around the telephone and friends. The dawning independence can be trying when manifested in beligerrance and the like. Some days I barely recognize them. But, I am determined to stay connected with them. In short, I've realized I still got some dues to pay so I'm never a lonely old man. :-)
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement