No. of Recommendations: 1
And what about that "judge not that ye be not judged" thing?

I doubt they know the scripture and it's contextual meaning. The fact of the matter is, Christians are forbidden to judge non Christians. That only belongs to God himself. Christians ARE supposed to judge each other. If you are a follower of Jesus Christ and have a brother/sister that is flagrantly committing a sin, you have a responsibility to point it out to them. If they refuse to change, then you bring 2 or more other Christians before them to gently coerce them into changing their ways. If that does not work, then you bring it before the church.

Exactly! Notice that the Church has the final authority in these matters.

One misconception regarding judging others is that Christians should never judge people. The classic proof-text verse is where Jesus tells us to judge not lest ye be judged. Here Jesus is not saying that we should never judge people; instead, he is telling us that when we judge, we should not judge either self-righteously or hypocritically. In fact, Jesus tells us to make right judgments. John 7:24

"Stop judging by mere appearances, and make a right judgment.”

If you look at the verse itself in Matthew 7, Jesus tells his listeners that if you judge someone, then expect to be judged in the same manner. And he goes on to say that first remove the plank in your own eye. Then you can see clearly to remove the speck in your brother's eye. So he is saying that we should not judge from a sense of hypocrisy; instead, we should make a right judgment for the right reasons.

St. Paul in the Church at Corinth made some judgments about a member of the Church who was committing incest and there were those who were boasting about it. He condemned the practice, rebuked the other members of the church for boasting about and allowing this kind of behavior in the Church and commanded the Church elders to expel the immoral brother. (Excommunicate him) 1 Corinthians 5:9

So this is a right judgment that the Apostle Paul made toward another member of the Church and he commanded that the members of the Church discipline the immoral brother.

And he clarified that we have no business judging those outside of the Church, but that we have a grave responsibility to rightly judge those who are members of the body of Christ.

1 Cor 5:12 - "12What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside? 13God will judge those outside. "Expel the wicked man from among you."

So the bottom line is that Jesus never taught that we should never judge others but that we should not judge hypocritically or self-righteously and that we should make right judgments.

Do you find yourself comparing your life with the lives of other Christians or non-Christians? Do you find yourself saying, I'm glad I'm not as bad as that other sinner or act as badly as so and so? If so, you have been infected with self-righteousness and perhaps even a bout of hypocrisy. We should never try and justify ourselves or prop ourselves up at the expense of others or think we are better than other people by comparing ourselves to them. Instead, we should compare our own life and behavior to Jesus. When we do that, we see how short we fall from what is perfect Christian behavior and we become aware of our own sinfulness (ALL fall short of the glory of God)and we necessarily become humble and confess our sins, repent, and ask for God's forgiveness.

Luke 18: 9-14:

" 9To some who were confident of their own righteousness and looked down on everybody else, Jesus told this parable: 10"Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11The Pharisee stood up and prayed about[a] himself: 'God, I thank you that I am not like other men—robbers, evildoers, adulterers—or even like this tax collector. 12I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.'

13"But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, 'God, have mercy on me, a sinner.'

14"I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted."
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement