UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (60) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: desertdaveataol Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 454754  
Subject: Re: how the rich make their money Date: 1/2/2013 8:21 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
And when leadership fails NEW leadership (not a new workforce) is brought in to turn things around.

Here's a list of some of the better known ones remember there are thousands of lessor known leaders out there.

And yet there are even more examples of executives who shed divisions, shrank companies, failed to turn profit, and still got increased compensation.

Really? Link please.

Also, I have to wonder what your views are on unions. So many of the privileged class apologists are quick to blame unions for earnings failures,

Wow! lots of assumptions there. I'll have to remember to remind the checkout clerk of my privileged class apologist status the next time I'm at Walmart.

As to my views on unions. Unions were at one time VERY necessary. Today not so much as the specter of union recruiters and organizers haunts CEO's and middle managers alike.

I've belonged to unions both because it was required to get the job (stuck in my craw) and once I joined (even though the union shop steward told me I didn't have to in order to file a complaint) because I thought/think it was the right thing to do if I was going to avail myself of the union's services.

And I've walked a picket line (didn't do any good, the company just picked up and moved to another town).

So don't presume to lecture me about unions.

Your claim that NEW leadership and not a new workforce is always the method to turn things around is also not completely true. Companies often shut doors in one city only to open a new plant somewhere else. Outsourcing and off-shoring are both examples of blaming and replacing the workforce in an attempt turn things around.

*I* didn't claim that "NEW leadership and not a new workforce is always the method to turn things around"

As you kind'a sort'a point out, unions are often a factor in management's decision to outsource or move offshore entirely.

Detroit today seems like a good example of what happens when unions get too greedy.

See also US shoe and garment manufacturing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSbmJb8dHMY
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (60) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement