Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 4
...and yet the board got set up. Does it occur to you that just perhaps I might have had some say in the matter?

:-)

I make no bones about the fact that dependence on technical analysis is a net destroyer of wealth for the majority of people who try to deploy it. My job is to help people make good decisions that maximize their ability to generate outsized returns, which means that I will always advise people that trading is hazardous to their wealth.

http://faculty.haas.berkeley.edu/odean/papers/returns/Individual_Investor_Performance_Final.pdf

(And yes, I realize the two are not the same thing, but in my experience I see overwhelming evidence that charting leads, on average, to shorter holding periods, and a more trader-like mentality. I have never met a technical analyst, or someone who uses both, with a lower turnover ratio than mine -- and while mine is low, it's not THAT low.)

But I've never, ever suggested that there's anything immoral about technical analysis, because there isn't. So what you might want to ask yourself is this: "why would he allow this board to be set up?"

The answer is this -- I do not mind it if anyone wants to talk about technicals, but would prefer that these conversations be self-contained and quarantined off of the other boards. That way it's not necessary to have one of those ecumenical meta-conversations where we all look like jerks for repeating over and over "I have a better way." So unenjoyable and not worth any of our time.

So, here's your board. I am completely sincere when I wish you to enjoy it and I hope it helps you be more successful with your portfolios. I also hope that if TA conversations come up on the other boards within Global Gains that you will be stewards for the site and to guide those conversations over here.

Bill
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement