UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (58) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: TMFJeanie Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 60213  
Subject: Re: Man exposes crooked health insurer (Aetna) Date: 2/22/2008 9:43 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
and yet we hear Anecdotes that doctors turn away Medicare patients ... ???

Yeah, I've heard the same anecdotes, which is why before DH turned 65, I called the hospital and all of his doctors to ask. I also asked if the testing labs they used accepted Medicare's assignment*. They all said, "of course we do".

*This is the key question to ask. Some providers might say, "sure we take Medicare patients", but they don't accept Medicare's assignment, which means they could bill you for the difference between what they charge and what Medicare pays them.

Since then, from talking to friends who are on Medicare it seems that every provider around here accepts it. Maybe it's peculiar to Maine, which has an older (and poorer) population.

Medicare isn't perfect. After the deductible, they still only pay 80% of the bills. A supplemental policy is optional, of course, but it will pick up the remaining 20% plus the deductibles, so the patient cost ends up being zero.

The Rx plan is another whole sack of snakes, but that's for another discussion :-)


Jeanie
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (58) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Apple

The Saddest Place on iPhone Day
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement