Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
...and you'll be really surprised at the results.

Not that surprising.

Three car magazine guys go out and abuse their loaner trucks until they break. Driving fast over washboard roads is a recipe for damage. Eventually they had the sense to slow down and drop the pressure in their tires, but not before the damage had already been done. I'm also unsurprised that the "off-road" packages are mainly marketing hype, and fairly useless in the real world.

Their experience seems to match yours on that road. For washboard roads, a live rear axle is not nearly as good as an independent suspension. But that comes with a cost in load carrying ability.

--Peter

PS - The Ridgeline damaged a shock as well, just not as dramatically or severely. All three trucks needed new rear shocks after that bit of abuse.

PPS - I'm not blaming them entirely for the damage. Part of their job is to push the envelope on the vehicles they're reporting on to find out what breaks. So they aren't really idiots - they're simpley doing their job. But if those had been their personal vehicles where they knew they'd have to pay for any damages, I'm pretty sure they would have driven much slower from the moment their tires left the pavement.
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement