UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: galeno Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 749071  
Subject: Re: Asset protection,etc. Date: 2/20/2000 6:12 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Anes, I retract everything!! I also apologize profusely to TheBadger. It's my brain that has gone soft. I just put myself on ERT (estrogen replacement therapy). Your post and links are excellent!! That leaves my recommedation of responsible and ethical offshore organizations at ZERO as I sit here and chew on humble pie.

What the readers of this board need to understand (as you and TheBadger obviously do) is that the offshore world is VERY treacherous and full of thieves and charlatans. The one organization that I thought was not crooked turns out to be as crooked and as bogus as the rest.

That said, I still feel that an IBC used as an investment vehicle is still a good choice for some people like myself for example. As I mentioned before, for a foreigner, the USA is a great tax haven. Depending on his country of residence, a foreigner only pays 10 to 30% withholding taxes on dividend and interest income. Foreigners pay NO capital gains taxes.

The only problem with opening an account in one's name at a US brokerage is the VERY PUNISHING inheritance taxes the US will apply to a foreigner's account if the foreigner happens to die. An American citizen or resident gets a $600K or so exemption from inheritance taxes. A foreigner gets $60K.

Some foreigners feel comfortable by opening a joint account with their wives. But what happens if both the husband and wife die together in an accident?? The hiers will get slammed.

I will never again make the mistake of assuming that you and TheBadger are parochial America-Firsters that have no clue about what happens outside of the US borders. It is I who is the obvious "Clueless" person here.

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Ringing the NASDAQ Bell
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement