Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Angelbuggy said, "However, you can actually deduct much larger losses as long as you have capital gains to offset them. It's only the NET capital loss that can't be deducted in one year if it exceeds $3,000"

I've been trying to find the answer on both the TMF and the IRS website that you just gave. The 3K loss limitation against ordinary is very clear everywhere, but can you deduct ALL short term losses as long as you have short term gains to cover them? This is the part that doesn't seem to be answered too clearly anywhere. For example, if I have $7000 in short term gain, can I offset $5000 in short term loss against it?

I'd really appreciate any info you can give me, or if you can direct me to where this is stated coherently on the IRS website (Duh, did I just ask for coherence from the IRS? :-)

Thanks.... Irene Rose
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.