UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (21) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: TriangleAnomaly One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5162  
Subject: Animal House: MDP is Our Special Room Date: 5/1/2012 10:00 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 14
Anurag is very negative on Ron Gross and MDP. I am also, for somewhat different reasons.

Sometimes a person of undoubted intelligence and knowledge can reveal a character that is just too “small” – for lack of a better word – to handle great responsibility, such as the responsibility of investing other people’s money. For example, I was an early subscriber (as BrokeInTheBurgh) to MF’s The Big Short until the lead advisor’s reactions to early troubles and criticisms showed me that he was the wrong size to handle my money. It takes more than brains and experience, it takes a certain maturity and flexibility -- a brittle or inflexible person is all too likely to make wrong decisions under pressure. So I canceled my Big Short subscription with nary a look back.

About a year ago, my young daughters were members of MDP (as Captain Haiku) and mentioned to me that MDP was a bit weird about things like options. For example, it adopted a policy, in response to a vocal member, that options could only be discussed on a special options board, and not on any other board. When I looked at the MDP boards, I was unimpressed – in particular, I felt that Ron Gross was probably the wrong size for his job. Also, I felt the whole MDP idea – the best of the best – was flawed. (For example, after Tim Hanson’s very careful guidance here on the GG boards to limit one’s position in CGA and YONG to small amounts, MDP invested 5% of its portfolio in those companies! )

Anyway, I quickly canceled my daughters’ MDP subscription (admittedly, one step before I was booted out for being very rude to Ron, inexcusably), and have never regretted it. I felt MDP was, apart from the Big Short, the least helpful of the eleven (!) MF paid services I have used over time.

Of course, the generous MF refund policy means that you do not have to try to figure out what to do based on other peoples’ opinions. You can try MDP for a while and cancel if you do not like it. If you are on the fence, that would probably be the sensible thing to do.

As an aside, in this time of MF turmoil, do you remember the scene in the movie Animal House where the nerdy guys try to rush the cool fraternity? No matter where they wander in the fraternity house, they are quickly rounded up and brought back into one particular room – the losers’ room -- where they are introduced over and over again to the same set of other nerdy guys.

Do you see where I am heading with this?

I have suddenly had a vision – a flash of insight. I see a process beginning where, one by one, the fringe MF services – GG, HG, IV, II – are closed and their members are rounded up and taken to MDP. Wherever we go, they find us and redirect us to MDP.

Folks, we are not the cool guys, the Supernova and Alpha and Pro subscribers; we are the nerds, and MDP is our special room.

Rich
TriangleAnomaly

Who will post one or two more times, but finds that investing with MF in this time of transition is too difficult, and will soon cancel this, his last subscription . . . .
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (21) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement