UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: TMFGebinr Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Supernova Phoenix 1
Mission Team Member CAPS All Star SC1 Red Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1113  
Subject: Announcement of upcoming trade Date: 1/28/2013 11:33 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Hi everyone,

Netflix is a holding of both this portfolio and my personal portfolio. I own shares in both a Roth IRA and in a taxable account. The Roth shares were purchased normally and I have no intention of selling them. The taxable account shares were purchased as a result of having written a put that was exercised in September 2011. The plan at the time was to write puts for income and, if assigned, turn around and write calls for income until the shares were sold. That plan was interrupted thanks to the large price differential between the price I paid and the share price.

Now that Netflix's share price has moved back up, I am going to resume this plan. I have sought and received permission from the Fool's legal department to do so.

Therefore, when Fool trading rules permit, I will sell a call against the shares I currently hold in my taxable account, with the obligation of selling these shares if the share price of Netflix exceeds the strike price of the call at expiration. This would reduce my Netflix holdings to just what is in my Roth IRA. If the call expires worthless (which would happen if the share price was below the strike price when the option expires), I would keep the premium paid as income and would then write another call, if the premium was worth it at the time. If that happens, I'll come back and make another announcement similar to this one before the subsequent trade.

In no way does this action reflect a change in my thinking about Netflix as an investment, which remains quite in favor of it. This is simply the resumption of an income-generating strategy I had been engaged in a few years ago.

Cheers,
Jim
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Deranged Monkey Criticism

RadioShack Afloat on a Sea of Financing
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement