UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (32) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: tenseventyfive Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 884993  
Subject: Annoying OT posters Date: 2/18/2013 10:21 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Does anyone know if there is a way to block certain users, or posts from those users? There'es just some people that don't seem to get the concept of a "board", and while I DO understand what OT means, I don't really understand why, or approve of it. IMO if you want to post about things that don't relate to LBYM, this is the Internets. I'm sure you can find the proper venue... elsewhere.

Mind you - I am not really criticizing those people directly - I just personally don't want to see their posts. (but you repeat offenders know who you are)

Anyone know if this can be done?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: reallyalldone Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 871753 of 884993
Subject: Re: Annoying OT posters Date: 2/18/2013 10:24 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
Sure - click the frowny face next to their name to block poster or Ignore thread to block thread - easy-peasy

Author: desertdaveataol Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 871757 of 884993
Subject: Re: Annoying OT posters Date: 2/18/2013 11:37 AM
Recommendations: 3
Does anyone know if there is a way to block certain users, or posts from those users?

If you'd taken the time to read the trailer below your post you'd have seen the "Ignore Thread" option link.

If you don't like having to choose whether or not to read my (or anyone else's) posts just click on the frown face next to our names on the posts.

Desert (Goodbye) Dave

Author: alchook Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 871759 of 884993
Subject: Re: Annoying OT posters Date: 2/18/2013 12:14 PM
Recommendations: 48
What does this have to do with living below your means?

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 871760 of 884993
Subject: Re: Annoying OT posters Date: 2/18/2013 1:10 PM
Recommendations: 7
If you'd taken the time to read the trailer below your post you'd have seen the "Ignore Thread" option link.

If you don't like having to choose whether or not to read my (or anyone else's) posts just click on the frown face next to our names on the posts.

Desert (Goodbye) Dave

The poster did bring up one point that you are one of the significant contributors to OT posts. TMF created Social Clubs for people who want to gather a bunch of friends to discuss whatever pops in your head. From the looks of it, you want the attention you get from a larger audience here.

PSU

Author: Icemann11 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 871767 of 884993
Subject: Re: Annoying OT posters Date: 2/18/2013 2:18 PM
Recommendations: 7
Sometimes posters feel 'closer' with certain boards and see something that is OT that they want to post and think that many of that board's posters might enjoy. I think OT does work.

Just ignore the posts/threads that don't interest you. There will always be things/posters you don't want to read.

Icemann

Author: DHeavy Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Motley Fool One Everlasting Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 871768 of 884993
Subject: Re: Annoying OT posters Date: 2/18/2013 2:55 PM
Recommendations: 10
for lunch today, I had a can of corn and fresh snow peas.
DHeavy

Author: 99lashes Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 871771 of 884993
Subject: Re: Annoying OT posters Date: 2/18/2013 5:39 PM
I just switched to 2 ply, scented and printed, toilet tissue.

Yes, I squeeze the Charmin and what a joy.

Author: desertdaveataol Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 871772 of 884993
Subject: Re: Annoying OT posters Date: 2/18/2013 6:09 PM
Recommendations: 1

Desert (Goodbye) Dave

The poster did bring up one point that you are one of the significant contributors to OT posts. TMF created Social Clubs for people who want to gather a bunch of friends to discuss whatever pops in your head. From the looks of it, you want the attention you get from a larger audience here.

The "larger audience" would be at METAR as you well know.

Feel free to click on the frown face next to my name on my posts.

Desert (Goodbye) Dave

Author: desertdaveataol Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 871773 of 884993
Subject: Re: Annoying OT posters Date: 2/18/2013 6:15 PM
for lunch today, I had a can of corn and fresh snow peas.

My Gawd! Why would anyone post such an annoying post?

Desert (had Harry's Organic Creamy Tomato Basil Soup for lunch today ;-) Dave

Author: desertdaveataol Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 871774 of 884993
Subject: Re: Annoying OT posters Date: 2/18/2013 6:22 PM
Recommendations: 0
Thank you for recommending this post to our Best of feature.

Yes, I squeeze the Charmin and what a joy.

I think there's a 12 step program for that ;-)

Desert (buys Charmin by the bale at Costco) Dave

Author: PaintItBlue Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 871776 of 884993
Subject: Re: Annoying OT posters Date: 2/18/2013 7:26 PM
hope Harry doesn't find out!

Author: culcha Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 871778 of 884993
Subject: Re: Annoying OT posters Date: 2/18/2013 9:06 PM
Does anyone know if there is a way to block certain users, or posts from those users? There'es just some people that don't seem to get the concept of a "board", and while I DO understand what OT means, I don't really understand why, or approve of it. IMO if you want to post about things that don't relate to LBYM, this is the Internets. I'm sure you can find the proper venue... elsewhere.

And what's worse is that sometimes people post things on the LBYM board that are clearly off-topic -- and yet these people don't even place "OT:" in the subject line.

Boy, are they annoying!

culcha

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 871780 of 884993
Subject: Re: Annoying OT posters Date: 2/18/2013 9:28 PM

Desert (Goodbye) Dave

I don't use the frowny face and I will comment on your posts as I see fit.

Author: desertdaveataol Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 871781 of 884993
Subject: Re: Annoying OT posters Date: 2/19/2013 2:54 AM

Desert (Goodbye) Dave

I don't use the frowny face and I will comment on your posts as I see fit.

Welcome back, now quityourbitchen.

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 871782 of 884993
Subject: Re: Annoying OT posters Date: 2/19/2013 9:45 AM
Recommendations: 4
Welcome back, now quityourbitchen.

What part of "I will comment on your posts as I see fit" don't you understand?

PSU

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 871783 of 884993
Subject: Re: Annoying OT posters Date: 2/19/2013 10:01 AM
What does this have to do with living below your means?

It's the Living part ;-)

=alstro, appreciates Dave even though we are on more or less opposite poles of the political spectrum. I don't p-box or FA anyone or any threads (except by mistake), but I don't read everything either

Author: MetroChick Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 871786 of 884993
Subject: Re: Annoying OT posters Date: 2/19/2013 11:56 AM
Am I the only one who sees a new show on BRAVO staring desertdaveataol and PSUEngineer?

Author: tenseventyfive Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 871787 of 884993
Subject: Re: Annoying OT posters Date: 2/19/2013 12:26 PM
Yup thanks that did it - and except for the clear butthurt of the person in question - who obviously knows he attentionwhores here, and the standard internet bitch comment "If you had read the blah blah blah", let me say thanks to the general community. No offense was intended really to anyone - just wanted to filter out useless nonsense from the board.

*FYI- while the CONTENT of this thread was not about LBYM - I see what you did there - it was about the LBYM board itself, thus making it applicable

sorry 0/10 failtroll

Author: Brooklyn1948 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 871795 of 884993
Subject: Re: Annoying OT posters Date: 2/19/2013 4:16 PM
Recommendations: 11
Funny thing. I have no qualms about people posting OT.
There is much to be learned in this life and who knows when that little kernal of information coming to you from an OT poster might be something valuable or give you something to think about.
As I look out my window I can see the new World Trade Center. Oh, they are calling it the Freedom Tower but we New Yorkers know better.
It is a constant reminder of how lucky I am to be here.
So, big deal if someone posts OT. I can only think that the people complaining are doing so because they have nothing better to do.

Author: desertdaveataol Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 871797 of 884993
Subject: Re: Annoying OT posters Date: 2/19/2013 5:58 PM
I don't want to be on BRAVO so I'll let PSU have the last word on this one ;-)

Author: tenseventyfive Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 871798 of 884993
Subject: Re: Annoying OT posters Date: 2/19/2013 6:28 PM
Talk about OT - really? Invoke 9/11 for some bizarre reason?

FYI I live in NYC and was AT Ground Zero the next day. So I *do* have the moral standing to say you're out of line bringing that up. Im happy you got some perspective in your life that day - as did I - but bringing it up in this context is ridiculous. Im not censoring people or even asking that people respect the board (though I believe they should) - I was asking how I can block people I find a nuisance.

Shame on you.

It isnt about having nothing better to do - there are 5 million places to post nonsense like this:

Fashionista jumps to her death from George Washington Bridge - leaving Louis Vuitton bag containing 'suicide diary' naming five girls to be banned from her funeral

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2274921/Fashionista-......

but one of the reasons this board, and the others, came into being was so people could specifically talk about specific things, no? So forgive me for thinking the LBYM board should be about... well.... LBYM?

Author: grouse100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 871799 of 884993
Subject: Re: Annoying OT posters Date: 2/19/2013 6:30 PM
<post nonsense like this>

Your postings are the nonsense - PLOINK!

Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 871800 of 884993
Subject: Re: Annoying OT posters Date: 2/19/2013 6:35 PM
Recommendations: 19
Out of curiosity, how much more time and effort are you going to spend complaining that the board doesn't work the way you want it to work?

Nancy

Author: Brooklyn1948 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 871810 of 884993
Subject: Re: Annoying OT posters Date: 2/19/2013 7:22 PM
Talk about OT - really? Invoke 9/11 for some bizarre reason?

People like you are the reason I stopped posting ten years ago.

Author: klash Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 871811 of 884993
Subject: Re: Annoying OT posters Date: 2/19/2013 7:55 PM
Recommendations: 8
<<< but one of the reasons this board, and the others, came into being was so people could specifically talk about specific things, no? So forgive me for thinking the LBYM board should be about... well.... LBYM? >>>

You are so new, you squeak.
Spend more time listening to the regulars and becoming familiar with the culture of the board.

Or go away.
Either will do.

klash

Author: Retrograde Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 871813 of 884993
Subject: Re: Annoying OT posters Date: 2/20/2013 5:19 AM
People like you are the reason I stopped posting ten years ago

Please don't let him/her/it chase you away! I enjoy your posts. :)

It is bizarre that you were actually supporting OT posts but that person couldn't comprehend it and just went on the attack.

Author: Retrograde Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 871814 of 884993
Subject: Re: Annoying OT posters Date: 2/20/2013 5:23 AM
Recommendations: 8
Out of curiosity, how much more time and effort are you going to spend complaining that the board doesn't work the way you want it to work?

Next on the agenda for our crusader will be to get An Open Letter to put topic descriptions in the subject line.

Author: Brooklyn1948 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 871817 of 884993
Subject: Re: Annoying OT posters Date: 2/20/2013 8:19 AM
Spend more time listening to the regulars and becoming familiar with the culture of the board.

Thank you! I posted to this board ten years ago and then stopped because of a very scary person.
When I came back I was so happy to see that the "regulars" were still here.
They chat like old friends and that's one of the things I like best about the LBYM board.

Author: Gingko100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 871823 of 884993
Subject: Re: Annoying OT posters Date: 2/20/2013 1:54 PM
It's my favorite board too - bunch of really cool people and very little politics.

Author: mollyd77 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 871847 of 884993
Subject: Re: Annoying OT posters Date: 2/21/2013 4:50 AM
Its great to see you again! I thought that was you!

Molly

Author: Lea77 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 871853 of 884993
Subject: Re: Annoying OT posters Date: 2/21/2013 12:09 PM
bunch of really cool people and very little politics.

Agreed! (although when politics comes up, look out! :)

Speaking of off topic, would it be off topic to have a discussion about the article on the front page talking about personal finance guru's ruining everyone's life, or at the least not being helpful? Or is there somewhere to discuss articles already, aside from the comments below it. Just interested to hear this boards take on it, as I think people like Dave Ramsey and Suze Orman, although not perfect, have definately helped some people to better financial lives.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (32) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement