Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 10
Last year's update was here:

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=24108386

Many Fools like to pick a certain date for annual portfolio analysis and rebalancing. I usually have available time in May, so I use my Fool balloon day as the annual benchmark. :) Wow, 5 years now that I've been on the Fool boards? Well, time flies, so this place must be fun...

Last year Current Change
28,000 56,000 +28,000 Current 401k*
19,000 25,000 + 6,000 Roth IRA (maxed every year 2002-2007)
9,000 11,000 + 2,000 Rollover IRA from previous 401ks
8,250 8,750 + 500 E-fund, as Vanguard bond fund in taxable account
23,000 40,000 +17,000 Taxable investment account, all in Vanguard funds
3,000 3,000 0 Cushion in local checking account
0 0 0 Credit card debt
--------------------------------------------------------------------
90,250 143,750 +53,500

* That change is so much higher than the annual 401k contribution limit, because I've front-loaded my contributions this year. I've already put in over $12k, and next week I'm dropping the contribution to 6% (to keep getting the max company match) which will bring it right about to the limit by the end of the year.

I think I need to keep better track of whether those gains are coming from contributions or investment gains. I've been using and learning Microsoft Money over the last couple months, so I have all the data, just need to work the reports into something meaningful. At a rough guess, I'd say about $15K is from actual investment returns and the rest ($38k) was savings. LBYM really does work, though it certainly helps that my company gave me quite a decent increase in the M this year.

Well, at this rate, the investment returns will outpace my actual savings in just a few years. That's a REAL snowball!

Everything above is just in Vanguard funds (even my 401k provides access to Vanguard funds.) I don't care to take the time and effort to invest in individual stocks. A Coffeehouse-style program on autopilot seems to be working just fine (see last year's post for details).

And I'm writing this while on vacation in Sandusky, Ohio for the Cedar Point roller coaster park. Best coasters anywhere! And even this is still LBYMing -- the hotels and restaurants and everything in the whole area are like half price compared to the summer season. Spending less than $1000 for the whole week for myself and sister and brother-in-law. :)

I hope this picture proves valuable for some around here. FIRE's within reach.

- Erik
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement