Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: LiveFromHopkins Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 202  
Subject: Annual Meeting Date: 5/8/2008 11:16 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 8
Went to the annual meeting today and met the guys running this outfit. They had a formal meeting and did a slide show and some QA.

I gotta tell ya, these guys are for real and they have a fabulous business. Put me down as one big supporter and stockholder.

They had some samples of what their machines can build. Absolutely incredible. They talked about the market and how they approach it. Ditto on incredible.

Example: Remember the baby in China born with 'two heads' a few weeks back? They were sent a file of the MRI and they reconstructed the head in plastic from that detail on one of their machines - load the file, press a button, return in a few hours. This let the operating docs look inside the head to see what the problems were and work on a mechanical model to figure out how to approach the surgical problem. Of course there was another copy of this head at the meeting. I know a lot about anatomy and this was very real. You could look up the spine into the head and see the anatomy in 3d vivid detail. Even to the catheter which was extending from the baby's mouth and inside. And if you sawed the plastic head in half, even further detail would be exposed because this is 3D with cavities as detailed as life. Breathtaking!!!!!!!

Other more trivial examples were shown. I jobbed one (with permission) and this was a clearly assembled planetary gear transmission (in miniature plastic). But a machine made this in one pass with no assembly at all. Breathtaking! See me at the FARO meeting. I will show you this marvel. Or just email them and ask for one.

This stuff is magic folks. And the problem is that piracy will be rampant but these guys are ready for it and have deadly marketing savvy.

They just reported that they are very successful on the sale of high end products - with huge margins.

Check out this company: no debt, good cash, great patent depth, led by the founder (Scott Crump).

The downside is that the CFO (Gallager) managed to write down $400K+ so far on a huge ARS loss in 1Q08, so it appears that safety of investments is not the highest priority to protect their cash. This is outrageous and I had the sense that there was no remorse or apology. Listen to the latest CC! However, this is now, tomorrow is .... another day.

I am riding this horse and recommend the same.

Phil
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement