Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: DrtThrwingMonkey Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 212834  
Subject: Annual report: when? Date: 2/6/2013 2:34 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I believe 2006 was the last year that Berkshire helpfully published the schedule of the 3 quarterly reports and the next annual report, on the last page of the annual report. In 2006 the expected date for 2007 was Feb 29, and I presume this is still the case, perhaps the last Saturday in February. If so, that would be in 2 1/2 weeks, on Saturday, February 23.

Does anyone know if this information is posted anywhere? Another year has gone by, so the BH website has predictably become one year more paleolithic, and I can't find the information anywhere.

Regards, DTM
Print the post Back To Top
Author: rationalwalk Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 198449 of 212834
Subject: Re: Annual report: when? Date: 2/6/2013 2:41 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Buffett will normally wait until the last minute to file anything with the SEC but this is constrained by his desire to release the annual report on a Saturday. The 10-K filing deadline for "large accelerated filers" is 60 days after the end of the fiscal year (http://www.sec.gov/answers/form10k.htm). This happens to be Friday March 1, 2013 if I'm adding correctly. So it is interesting ... will Buffett release the annual report on Saturday, February 23 with the 10-K following on Monday, February 25. Or will he release both the annual report and 10-K on Friday, March 1 even though that would break the habit of posting the report on a Saturday morning?

My guess is that he will go with March 1 for the 10-K and annual report since releasing after hours will still give shareholders the entire weekend to read the report and he won't be filing a week ahead of when he is legally required to do so. But I'm keeping both weekends open just in case.

Author: Gordogato Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Ticker Guide Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 198450 of 212834
Subject: Re: Annual report: when? Date: 2/6/2013 2:49 PM
Recommendations: 1
I don't think a date is posted anywhere. But for the past few years, the Annual Report has been released on:

2012: Feb. 27 (a Monday)
2011: Feb. 28 (a Monday)
2010: Mar. 1 (a Monday)
2009: Mar. 2 (a Monday)

(I got those 10-K filing dates from Edgar Online.)

Based on that, I'd guess Monday, February 25 or Monday, March 4. Or perhaps some other day in between.

Author: rationalwalk Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 198451 of 212834
Subject: Re: Annual report: when? Date: 2/6/2013 2:57 PM
2012: Feb. 27 (a Monday)
2011: Feb. 28 (a Monday)
2010: Mar. 1 (a Monday)
2009: Mar. 2 (a Monday)

The pattern has been that the annual report appears on Berkshire's website on Saturday morning and then they file the 10-K with the SEC the following Monday (since I don't think EDGAR accepts filings on weekends). Actually the 10-K and annual report is not identical. There's some important information in the 10-K such as the loss triangle that doesn't appear in the annual report itself for some reason.

Author: vegasinvester Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 198452 of 212834
Subject: Re: Annual report: when? Date: 2/6/2013 6:05 PM
Recommendations: 15
I called the Berkshire main number a few days ago and they told me that the annual report would be released on march 1

Author: DrtThrwingMonkey Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 198460 of 212834
Subject: Re: Annual report: when? Date: 2/7/2013 7:48 AM
I called the Berkshire main number a few days ago and they told me that the annual report would be released on march 1

Spoilsport. But thanks.

DTM

Author: vegasinvester Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 198461 of 212834
Subject: Re: Annual report: when? Date: 2/7/2013 1:22 PM
Recommendations: 17
It was the first time I ever had anything remotely useful to add to this board!

Author: joeuu Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 198462 of 212834
Subject: Re: Annual report: when? Date: 2/7/2013 2:32 PM

And don't ever let it happen again!

8^)

Joe

Author: bbmd2 Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 198464 of 212834
Subject: Re: Annual report: when? Date: 2/7/2013 4:01 PM
Recommendations: 6

I wasn't just remotely useful, vegas. You figured out how to get an answer to a question without searching through five years of data, or speculating about the motives behind WEB's decision making process on the release date.

Bravo.

Author: rationalwalk Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 198465 of 212834
Subject: Re: Annual report: when? Date: 2/7/2013 4:11 PM
speculating about the motives behind WEB's decision making process on the release date.

For the record, my speculation regarding his motives turned out to be correct!

Author: carver1963 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Global Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 198467 of 212834
Subject: Re: Annual report: when? Date: 2/7/2013 7:59 PM
Recommendations: 4

I haven't let that stop me.

Author: JeanDavid Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 200640 of 212834
Subject: Re: Annual report: when? Date: 4/2/2013 7:57 AM
Recommendations: 0
Sometimes they lie, n'est pas?

Je ne crois pas. I received my three copies a few days ago from my broker (since my shares are in street name). I imagine if I held the certificates, I would have gotten them sooner. In fact, in that case, I probably would have gotten only two copies.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement