UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75642  
Subject: Annuities - Yuck! Ptui! Date: 7/15/2013 7:08 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 7
WEALTH MATTERS
That Bland Annuity Notice May Be Anything but Routine
By PAUL SULLIVAN
Insurance companies that sold annuities before the downturn are sending letters to clients lowering the generous pre-crisis benefits.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/13/your-money/annuities/that-...

Buy these things at your own risk.
If you are crazy enough to buy one at all.

AM
Print the post Back To Top
Author: billjam Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 72617 of 75642
Subject: Re: Annuities - Yuck! Ptui! Date: 7/15/2013 11:18 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
I'm sure clients thought when they bought the annuity it was binding contract on both parties. Apparently not if one party is an insurance company. Long Term Care purchasers have learned that too in recent years.

Author: spinning Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 72618 of 75642
Subject: Re: Annuities - Yuck! Ptui! Date: 7/16/2013 10:06 PM
Recommendations: 1
These parts of the article make me wary of annuities:

It’s worth noting that all of these changes are legal, and the company’s right to do what it is doing is detailed in contracts that stretch to hundreds of pages. That is part of the problem, of course, since people often do not read those contracts closely.

I doubt I would understand all the details in a contract that is hundreds of pages. I doubt most advisors understand all the details either. The aphorism "never invest in something you don't understand" applies.

Jerry Golden, president of Golden Retirement Advisors, is credited with creating the first guaranteed minimum income benefit for a variable annuity when he worked at AXA in the mid-1990s.

“One of the fundamental problems is that most of these variable annuity products are sold based on marketing materials and marketing hype, and there is no standard way to compare them,” he added. “It really never happened that these products were turned inside out to show the customers the upsides and downsides of them.”

I can read lots of straightforward analyses of stocks, bonds, and housing markets. I easily understand the pros and cons of each asset class. But when it comes to annuities things are different. The fact that Dave does not have a standard analysis of annuity performance is a case in point. He must create his own. Why? Stock performance, bond performance, housing market performance are all readily available.

Author: billjam Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 72620 of 75642
Subject: Re: Annuities - Yuck! Ptui! Date: 7/16/2013 11:53 PM
Recommendations: 1
If you aren't trying to hide loopholes you can write the contract in a couple paragraphs.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement