Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: gsgreen Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121144  
Subject: Anothe Traditional to Roth Conversion Question Date: 1/31/2012 9:54 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Slowly assimilating Pub 590.
It seems to say that in converting from Traditional to Roth (I plan on doing a series of partial conversions over the next 8 years), you only get one transaction to/from any specific IRA per tax year. Am I reading this correctly?
My initial plan had been to do a partial early in the year (about now) and then another partial in, say, December after evaluating that year's tax situation.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 114787 of 121144
Subject: Re: Anothe Traditional to Roth Conversion Questi Date: 1/31/2012 9:58 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
It seems to say that in converting from Traditional to Roth (I plan on doing a series of partial conversions over the next 8 years), you only get one transaction to/from any specific IRA per tax year. Am I reading this correctly?

No. Can you point us to the Pub reference that's confusing you?

Phil
Rule Your Retirement Home Fool

Author: gsgreen Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 114789 of 121144
Subject: Re: Anothe Traditional to Roth Conversion Questi Date: 1/31/2012 10:39 AM
Recommendations: 0
That would be page 23, para 1 - Waiting Period Between Rollovers (a conversion being a special case of a rollover). However, now that I've re-read this para for the 22nd time, I realize it is referring to tax free rollovers. As conversions are not tax free, this one per (calendar) year rule doesn't apply.
Did I get it more or less right this time?
Does it look proper to do the twice per year for the next 8 years I plan?

Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 114790 of 121144
Subject: Re: Anothe Traditional to Roth Conversion Questi Date: 1/31/2012 10:51 AM
Recommendations: 1
Did I get it more or less right this time?
Does it look proper to do the twice per year for the next 8 years I plan?

In order, yes and yes.

BTW, don't feel bad. I have enormous respect for the IRS folks who do forms and pubs. Theirs is a gargantuan task, given what they have to work with courtesy of our political friends. That said, Pub 590 is not their best work.

Phil
Rule Your Retirement Home Fool

Author: gsgreen Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 114791 of 121144
Subject: Re: Anothe Traditional to Roth Conversion Questi Date: 1/31/2012 11:19 AM
Recommendations: 21
Slightly off topic, but a fun thought.
There is a way to quickly and easily simplify the Tax Code. Require all Congressmen and Senators to do their own taxes, by hand, on paper and by April 15th. I figure it would take 2, maybe 3, weeks to have a simplified Tax Code

Author: karenlj Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 114822 of 121144
Subject: Re: Anothe Traditional to Roth Conversion Questi Date: 2/1/2012 11:17 AM
Recommendations: 3
Slightly off topic, but a fun thought.
There is a way to quickly and easily simplify the Tax Code. Require all Congressmen and Senators to do their own taxes, by hand, on paper and by April 15th. I figure it would take 2, maybe 3, weeks to have a simplified Tax Code.

And have all their returns audited.

Karen

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement