UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: BeanieMike One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 757652  
Subject: Re: Another Reason Not to Work Date: 8/29/2001 5:38 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
Another area that I imagine will become cheaper is travel. Now I have to deal with booking vacations when it's convenient for my work schedule and minimize the use of vacation days. (like traveling during a holiday week to use less vacation days) I often see spur of the moment travel deals, deals that require flying from Tuesday to Tuesday or requires a 3 week stay that are cheap but I can't use because they are vacation-day-inefficient.

As yet, I've only had occasion to take advantage of a couple cheap flights this way, but am looking forward to more such travel and, like intercst, do a bunch by car. There's a certain tranquility that's part of a leisurely driving trip - taking in the scenery and people along the way - that's missing when you're one of the herd at the airport.

What FIRE means is the whole frenetic lifestyle you've become accustomed to for decades falls away as you begin to live again at a pace that's enjoyable at all levels. I don't remember such total, guilt-free control over my time since my teen years before I got a job. I can schedule routine chores when the roads and stores aren't crowded; take that daytime woodworking class I always wanted that would never before fit in with my work; do those little home / yard / car projects that I could never afford the time for while working.

Gonna do a consulting job in the big city? Now I pick the day and time, take a relaxing train ride up and back, plan for breakfast / lunch with friends. I no longer need to accomplish more than that in one day. Or, if it interferes with something else I want to do, pass on the whole deal.

And if I'm feeling overwhelmed with all my planned projects, I can lay down and take a nap 'til the feeling goes away.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement