UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: 2ndMillion Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 64747  
Subject: Another cable ? or two Date: 1/13/2001 9:04 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Alrighty then...

I have cable. I purchased, rather than rented, the modem. I have a G4 450 (single). We are probably going to get either another G4 or the iMac replacement for my spoose (sic). We are also considering an iBook or PB.

1. If we get the G4 or iMac(II) can I connect my cable line to an Airport and can we both use it simultaneously? The cable company wants to charge me for an entire new line and another modem. That's another $40 bucks a month or $32/mo. if we buy the modem.

2. Because of long-time usage, I have maintained my AOL account as a BYO ISP [my AOL address has been in use for more than 8 years and is well publicized... hence the reason for keeping it]. The organization I do volunteer work for pays for the AOL connection ($10/mo.) and the cable connection. As I am not using the AOL ISP, I don't expect this to be a problem but understand that a direct connection to AOL does not yet work w/Airport. Just need confirmation of this.

3. If Airport won't work, is there a way I can connect the second computer to the cable connection so that both can be used simultaneously? Will I have to run cable two flights down? Will I need a hub?Will I get in trouble w/the cable company for networking the computers or using Airport? Although I've been a Mac user for more than 10 years, this is new stuff to me... my spoose always had her own machine at work but alas has retired (for now).

4. Suggestions?

5. This networking stuff has me thinking like a "newbie."

2ndMillion
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Steinmr Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2218 of 64747
Subject: Re: Another cable ? or two Date: 1/13/2001 10:35 PM
Airport specs indicate that you can connect up to ten computers to the same Airport LAN, using a single cable modem. Or at least that's the theory.

I have not been able to get my airport connection up and running at all. I don't know what I am not doing right, but if I were to figure it out, I could network a lot more computers than I am ever likely to own all at once.

But yesterday was the first day my cable ISP provided two-way always on connections in my neighborhood. It's sweet. I amy learn to live with a looooong ethernet cable...sigh.

Author: SkateFool Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2219 of 64747
Subject: Re: Another cable ? or two Date: 1/13/2001 11:40 PM
But yesterday was the first day my cable ISP provided two-way always on connections in my neighborhood. It's sweet.

Could you explain further what you mean by this?

The reason I ask is that a week ago I was using a friend's @Home cable connection and whenever I tried to upload a 10K JPEG or a short news article to a website, it was taking 60-90 seconds to make the connection and send.

Now the downloads, *those* were sweet.

Author: Steinmr Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2220 of 64747
Subject: Re: Another cable ? or two Date: 1/14/2001 9:22 AM
But yesterday was the first day my cable ISP provided two-way always on connections in my neighborhood. It's sweet.

Could you explain further what you mean by this?

The previous hookup provided cable receive but required a telephone line up-link for return. Because most returns are URL requests, emails and other very low demand transmissions, the system did not appear to slow down much, if at all. Reliability was too often an issue on the up-link.

The hassle was having to have/keep that second phone line wherever you wanted to connect the cable modem. Two way makes things nominally faster, but less hassle and expense.

Not everything is perfect with this system. A wild fire burned up several poles and a tower not far from here and took out all cable service and most cell phone access for thousands of households in this area of town. I was not affected, thank goodness, but many others may be scrambling for dial-up until all that stuff gets replaced.

Author: 4aapl Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2223 of 64747
Subject: Re: Another cable ? or two Date: 1/15/2001 12:29 AM
Recommendations: 2
2ndMillion asked about sharing a cable connection, via airport or otherwise

I don't have first hand experience with it, but it is my understanding that airport would work fine for what you are asking about. Additionally, if you want you could skip the airport base station since the G4 could act as one....but this would mean that your G4 would have to be on whenever you wanted to use the other computer(s) on the internet.

AOL shouldn't be a problem if you aren't using it as your ISP, but just a e-mail center.

Airport should be fine, but you could choose a cable/dsl hardware router instead. As I just said in http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=14106340 I just got the SMC Barricade, which you can get for $100. Firewall and 10/100 switch....along with being a router. So, you can set up a bunch of systems to use the same connection. I checked it out pretty thuroughly reading up on the different ones, and decided to go with this one. The only negative is that they don't really have support specifically for Macs.....but a network is a network, so it's not really an issue unless you need them to step you through setup....but there's many places on the net that will help you with that if needed. This even has a print server in it, which posters on dealmac said they have managed to get working on a Mac. (I haven't taken it out of the box yet since I just got back.....and since my other machines aren't here anymore and I only have a cable connection for the next few days I don't know if I will get a chance to play with it. But I'm all excited about it just the same)

Yes, that would require cabling. Could be easy....could be hard. My current place has cement walls.....but a few years back we wired up an apt fairly easily, going up a floor by wiring next to the air/heat vents. So, the difficulty all depends on the place, and how good you want the end product to be.

Best of luck. Most of it really isn't that hard.....just a new thing to learn about.

4aapl

Author: 0xF00L Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2302 of 64747
Subject: Re: Another cable ? or two Date: 1/21/2001 7:11 PM
Recommendations: 3
2ndMillion wrote:

I have cable. I purchased, rather than rented, the modem. I have a G4 450 (single). We are probably going to get either another G4 or the iMac replacement for my spoose (sic). We are also considering an iBook or PB.

1. If we get the G4 or iMac(II) can I connect my cable line to an Airport and can we both use it simultaneously? The cable company wants to charge me for an entire new line and another modem. That's another $40
bucks a month or $32/mo. if we buy the modem.

YES YES YES. My airport is directly connected
to my cable modem. You can both use it simultaneously
and the AIRPORT does NAT so you will look to the
cable company as one device. (assuming you configure
it that way) My wife and I have often used the Airport
that way. In my basement office I use my Linux IBM
notebook, and psion netBook with lucent wavelan cards, simultaneously wiht her
using the G4 upstairs to do her internet stuff.

Warning: Your cable modem ISP may required your
Ethernet MAC (not to be confused with Mac ) address
if they lock the cable modem to a single device,
as media one does here in Nashua. The MAC address
you need to tell the customer service/tech support
is the one labeled EthernetID on the bottom of your
airport unit (on the label) It is 12 digits long
and probably starts with 0030....

The media one guys' said they would keep both my G4
and my Airport mac addresses configured, but that
you could only hook one up at a time( so if I had
configuration problems, I wouldn't have to keep
calling them up, I just needed to reconnect, and
cycle power on the cable modem. (Its a rented surfbord SB3100))

(Don't give them the Airport ID which starts with 0002... since that doesn't work.)

NOTE: Using the airport configuration tool to automatically configure the airport didn't quite do
everything. If your G4 is currently set up to use
the cable modem, follow the instructions for
configuring the airport with the setup assistant.
Then go back and enable ethernet bridging, so that
the Airport side (your G4) gets sent to the cable
modem (the ethernet side). Otherwise you
will only be able to communicate between airport
devices.

2. Because of long-time usage, I have maintained my AOL account as a BYO ISP [my AOL address has been in use for more than 8 years and is well publicized... hence the reason for keeping it]. The organization I do
volunteer work for pays for the AOL connection ($10/mo.) and the cable connection. As I am not using the AOL ISP, I don't expect this to be a problem but understand that a direct connection to AOL does not yet work
w/Airport. Just need confirmation of this.

We only use AOL IM on the G4 and we can use that via
the connection via Airport. The incompatibility with
airport is that I don't think it can dial up the
AOL directly via the modem, likely because they
have a proprietary login system, instead of a simple
login name and password combination. You may be able
to access AOL in some limited fashion via a direct
internet connection. You could always connect via
your internal modem to AOL too.

3. If Airport won't work, is there a way I can connect the second computer to the cable connection so that both can be used simultaneously? Will I have to run cable two flights down? Will I need a hub?Will I get in
trouble w/the cable company for networking the computers or using Airport? Although I've been a Mac user for more than 10 years, this is new stuff to me... my spoose always had her own machine at work but alas has
retired (for now).

Yes as previous posters have described... the
hub firewall is a good solution... requiring wires.

email me if this was unclear.

0xF00L

Author: 0xF00L Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2303 of 64747
Subject: Re: Another cable ? or two Date: 1/21/2001 7:14 PM
Recommendations: 1
Airport specs indicate that you can connect up to ten computers to the same Airport LAN, using a single cable modem.

This is not a hard limit(and the apple literature also
hints at it if you look hard enough)
. Though if you are all
simultaneously doing stuff, it might be a practical
one. We use airport at the office and have many more
than 10 devices on airport. (It is only in dumb
bridge mode)

0xF00L

Author: 2ndMillion Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2304 of 64747
Subject: Re: Another cable ? or two Date: 1/21/2001 8:08 PM
Thanks all! I will save all this for when we get her new iMac II (or whatever it's going to be called). I would rather get the new G4 733 and make movies for a living... but that will have to wait.

2ndMillion

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement