Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Goofyhoofy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 445011  
Subject: Another career ended Date: 3/20/2013 8:03 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 11
Backlash against folk singer Michelle Shocked’s anti-gay tirade continues to grow as clubs cancel shows and a publicist for the singer resigns

Venues in at least seven cities have canned the tour, following such abusive remarks as ‘God hates f-----s’ at a San Francisco concert that was shut down early. The born-again Christian, formerly a lefty, launched into a screed in favor of California’s Proposition 8, which bans gay marriage.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/music-arts/backlash......

She's from a Mormon family, is now a born-again Baptist, and is telling people "...but the Bible says it's wrong."

Maybe she can still find an audience in the Right Wing, fundamentalist, anti war, feminist, youth, establishment protesting but anti-gay bigoted populace. There must be at least three of those around.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: discurro Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 419483 of 445011
Subject: Re: Another career ended Date: 3/20/2013 8:16 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
Backlash against folk singer Michelle Shocked’s anti-gay tirade continues to grow as clubs cancel shows and a publicist for the singer resigns

That is sad. She put out some really good music in the past. Cat Stevens, now Michelle Shocked. Religion really f*cks with people's heads.

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 419488 of 445011
Subject: Re: Another career ended Date: 3/20/2013 11:50 AM
Recommendations: 0
Who do these people think they are? If I pay to see a concert, I want to see a concert. I have ZERO interest in the performer's political or social positions/opinions. I don't care if it's Bono, or Nugent, or Shocked, or whomever.

The ONLY possible exception would be someone who does political/social music. Like the protest music of the 60s. Like Joan Baez. I know that's what they do, and if I buy a ticket I know what I'm getting. I am not going to a concert expecting to be hit out of left field with some bigoted tirade.

I'd demand a refund if I were in that audience.

Author: GardenStateFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 419489 of 445011
Subject: Re: Another career ended Date: 3/20/2013 12:09 PM
Recommendations: 5
If I pay to see a concert, I want to see a concert. I have ZERO interest in the performer's political or social positions/opinions. I don't care if it's Bono, or Nugent, or Shocked, or whomever.

With respect to Bono, I'd say that you'd need to expect a certain amount of political. U2 started with political music, that's where their roots are. "Sunday Bloody Sunday" wasn't about someone getting a cut while cooking dinner on a weekend. "In the Name of Love" and "Bullet the Blue Sky" had rather distinct points to make... and there's a bunch more in between and afterwards.

Of course, Bono isn't known for his bigoted tirades, either.

GSF

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 419491 of 445011
Subject: Re: Another career ended Date: 3/20/2013 12:26 PM
Of course, Bono isn't known for his bigoted tirades, either.

Political music is fine. If I'm a fan I'd know to expect that. Tirades are annoying (bigoted or not). I didn't pay to hear someone get on their soapbox. But, then again, maybe I would expect it from some (like Bono? I'm not a fan, I've only heard about him.).

1poorkid recently went to a concert for someone I'd never heard of. "Muse". She took 1poorlady with her (girls' night out). Evidently the music was very political, but there were no rambling speeches, lectures, or tirades. They just played their music. And that's cool. (Though 1poorlady says both the BeeGees and Earth, Wind & Fire are much better. ;-)

1poorguy

Author: sykesix Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 419492 of 445011
Subject: Re: Another career ended Date: 3/20/2013 12:39 PM
"When they stop Prop 8 and force priests at gunpoint to marry gays, it will be the downfall of civilization, and Jesus will come back," and "You can go on Twitter and say, 'Michelle Shocked says God hates (anti-gay slur).'

Isn't Jesus coming back a good thing? She should be encouraging gay marriage.

Author: flowerschild Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 419500 of 445011
Subject: Re: Another career ended Date: 3/20/2013 3:02 PM
Jeez. Thanks for the link.

I had a friend give me a CD of hers years ago, it was some good stuff.

I never really followed her but for some reason, I assumed she was a lesbian. Seems she has some issues in that area, as most homophobic people do.

flowerschild

Author: flowerschild Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 419503 of 445011
Subject: Re: Another career ended Date: 3/20/2013 3:24 PM
She's saying that she was being sarcastic and was misunderstood:

http://marquee.blogs.cnn.com/2013/03/20/michelle-shocked-spe...

This may be interesting to follow how it plays out.

flowerschild

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 419513 of 445011
Subject: Re: Another career ended Date: 3/20/2013 4:16 PM
She's saying that she was being sarcastic and was misunderstood:

that was my first thought ....

doing it in sanFrancisco of all places,
looking as Butch as she does
going so far over the top that Phelps
night think her slightly hyperbolic

I thought "performance art"

Author: flowerschild Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 419545 of 445011
Subject: Re: Another career ended Date: 3/21/2013 12:26 AM
I thought "performance art"

0x6a74

Maybe...but the jury is still out. I am not buying what she's selling, but I don't have enough info yet from the actual concert to make a fully informed decision.

It doesn't look good that her publicist resigned after the incident, among other things.

flowerschild

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 419546 of 445011
Subject: Re: Another career ended Date: 3/21/2013 1:01 AM
Recommendations: 1
ii
It doesn't look good that her publicist resigned after the incident, among other things.

true
also relevant might be prior behaviour

but for me it's an example of how the level
of proof depends on the importance of the hypothesis

... since ,to me, it's only mildly interesting
I'll believe her

just like I believe people who claim to BR Christian
(>:

Author: flowerschild Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 419571 of 445011
Subject: Re: Another career ended Date: 3/21/2013 1:40 PM
I'll believe her

0x6a74<\i>

Yes, I agree it's only mildly interesting, but for some reason I became curious. Especially when her apology came out--people deserve a fair shake.

I was able to find someone's audio recording of the event online, and it really sounds like a train wreck.

I believe, listening to this that she meant what she said (she insultingly acted like she was exposing the crowd to her "true" reality).

Her performance of the songs were dreadful, as if there was some mental instability or just plain vocal laziness there.

Here's the audio:

https://soundcloud.com/therealtofuandwhiskey/michelle-shocke...

flowerschild

Author: discurro Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 419573 of 445011
Subject: Re: Another career ended Date: 3/21/2013 2:11 PM
Here's the audio:

https://soundcloud.com/therealtofuandwhiskey/michelle-shocke...

When she first started, I thought she might be joking, but then she just kept going with it. Either it was really bad performance art or she has slipped over the edge.

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 419581 of 445011
Subject: Re: Another career ended Date: 3/21/2013 3:20 PM
Recommendations: 3
I believe, listening to this that she meant what she said (she insultingly acted like she was exposing the crowd to her "true" reality).

Her performance of the songs were dreadful, as if there was some mental instability or just plain vocal laziness there.

Here's the audio:

https://soundcloud.com/therealtofuandwhiskey/michelle-shocke......

thanks but no thanks

I'll believe you now (>:

Author: flowerschild Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 419588 of 445011
Subject: Re: Another career ended Date: 3/21/2013 5:40 PM
thanks but no thanks

LOL!! You are clearly a wiser person than I.

flowerschild

Author: crassfool Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 419602 of 445011
Subject: Re: Another career ended Date: 3/22/2013 12:39 AM
0x6a74 says

"Here's the audio:

"https://soundcloud.com/therealtofuandwhiskey/michelle-shocke...

thanks but no thanks

I'll believe you now (>:

Me too. I have a younger relative who fell into religious mania some years ago. I just try not to be in the same place with her if I can possibly help it.

Author: flowerschild Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 419702 of 445011
Subject: Re: Another career ended Date: 3/24/2013 10:22 PM
Ok, my gay friends sent me this link on Michelle Shocked's implosion (truat me, it is worth it):

http://www.logotv.com/video/misc/891036/weeklings-michelle-s...

Very witty and fun, and I too wish Laura Nyro were still alive.

flowerschild

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement