Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Another factor that you might consider is whether there are any gift taxes due. Depending upon the value of the stocks at the time that he placed your name on the certificates, he should have paid a gift tax. If the gift is greater than $10,000 there is a tax due on this transfer of property. You should contact a tax accountant concerning your situation.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.