Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0

I would like to give a gift of long term appreciated stock to my parents who are non-US citizens. I intend to gift the stock, sell it and then wire the money to them. Their country doesn't have gift taxes for gifts from a family member.

I am wondering whether would I have to file a non-resident US income tax return for my parents in this case. If not, who pays the taxes on the appreciated stock when the stock is sold ?

Thanks in advance for your response.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.