Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: TMFJoeInvestor Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 25833  
Subject: Another Great Quarter Date: 7/19/2012 9:52 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
Hey Folks,

eBay is a recommendation of mine over at Inside Value. I thought you folks might be interested in the notes I just lobbed up for our members on our boards. Cheers.

eBay is up 8% this morning on yet another wonderful quarter. PayPal continues to shine -- 26% sales growth on a 13% growth in active users and continued growth in transactions per user -- but the quiet star of this quarter in my eyes was the marketplace business, which posted its strongest growth since 2006. Active user growth is accelerating and so are purchases per user.

Mobile continues to be a huge strong point. eBay now sees both eBay and PayPal doing more than $10 billion in transactional volume in 2012. Small in eBay's big picture, but stunning in absolute terms and compared to last year. For PayPal, that would be 150% growth over last year's mobile volume.

Here's an amazing stat that encapsulates how far we've already come with mobile commerce: More than 8,000 cars are sold each week through eBay Mobile apps. Here's another: A woman's handbag sells every 30 seconds. If you somehow doubted mobile commerce before, welcome to the new reality. eBay is incredibly well positioned here both on marketplaces and payments.

One more thing: My respect for CEO John Donahoe and his turnaround prowess grows every quarter. He's done a remarkable job of turning around eBay's marketplace business by decluttering, simplifying, emphasizing mobile, and making the shopping experience more like Amazon and less like a flea market. That was no small task and many folks complained along the way, no doubt the army of senior execs he fired in his first year while cleaning out Meg Whitman's dead wood. He's also done a wonderful job of fostering growth at PayPal, setting it up for future success, and using smart tuck-in acquisitions to bolster its capabilities and reach.

All in all, eBay is humming and I expect to continue owning these shares for a long time to come. Or, at least, through the PayPal spin-off I bet happens in 2014. :-)

Joe
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Dividend Growth Investing

Good Time for Dividend Champions?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement