Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: buzman Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121219  
Subject: Another Home Office Question Date: 7/8/2002 11:07 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I advised a self-employed engineer's wife that they did not have to remove the TV from his home office. My rationale is that an engineer would need to know what the weather forecast would be-Weather Channel, two Panana City Stations & one from Dothan, that should cover it. Just don't set up a home theater.

Being an engineer, I don't know if he'll take my advice but just because it's a home office does not mean you have to ditch the TV.

Know about her exercise bike, move it when the field agent schedules a visit. Just don't set up a home gym.

Will these fly?

buzman
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFTaxes Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 60905 of 121219
Subject: Re: Another Home Office Question Date: 7/9/2002 6:52 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
<<I advised a self-employed engineer's wife that they did not have to remove the TV from his home office. My rationale is that an engineer would need to know what the weather forecast would be-Weather Channel, two Panana City Stations & one from Dothan, that should cover it. Just don't set up a home theater.>>

Perhaps a touch agressive...but a reasonable rationale. And make sure that he isn't watching Oprah in his spare time...or that the kids come in from time to time to play video games. That kinda stuff.

<<Being an engineer, I don't know if he'll take my advice but just because it's a home office does not mean you have to ditch the TV.>>

And, in general, I would agree. Heck...I've got a TV in my business office to watch various news, stock, and other related programming. I consider the television and cable fees a legitimate, ordinary and necessary business expense. And I would suspect that it would be upheald should the IRS come to call.

<<Know about her exercise bike, move it when the field agent schedules a visit. Just don't set up a home gym.>>

If the exercise bike is used by a non-business person, or for non-business related reasons, then it should go also...regardless of if the field agent comes to call or not. At least that's what the law says. :-)

<<Will these fly?>>

No guarantees, but I think that you're in a good position. But, take it for what you paid for it. :-)

TMF Taxes
Roy

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement