UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: rigoletto39 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 176611  
Subject: Another hostage killing Date: 11/16/2004 1:59 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
From Reuters:

http://olympics.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=topNews&storyID=6831117

Arabic television Al Jazeera said on Tuesday it will not air a video showing a gunman killing a woman, believed to be British-Iraqi hostage Margaret Hassan.
"We will not air the tape because we respect the audience's feelings," said an Al Jazeera official, whose channel earlier announced it had received a tape of the killing. "We can not be certain that the woman is Margaret Hassan," he added.

How merciful, how compassionate.

Print the post Back To Top
Author: EricTaller Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 96658 of 176611
Subject: Re: Another hostage killing Date: 11/16/2004 2:07 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 34
"We will not air the tape because we respect the audience's feelings," said an Al Jazeera official,

Bad translation. The actual reason was:

" We will not air the tape because we fear that this will harden the resolve of the American people and show the insurgents for the blatent savages that they are. If we figure a way to make this look like the fault of the US, we will start showing it in heavy rotation."

Author: Kcourt Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 96661 of 176611
Subject: Re: Another hostage killing Date: 11/16/2004 3:03 PM
Recommendations: 11
It doesn't pay to try to help people in some of these violent countries. She tried to help in a land that did not want help.

I had a friend who used to help out in the orphanages in Mexico, until he was jailed on false charges of child molestation and remained in prison for about 12 years.

Even though he was vindicated, the manager of the orphanage (who was the real culprit) remains in power today, probably still molesting children.

Every day , I find more reasons to appreciate the "good old USA". No other country like it, in spite of some of its faults - it is the best!

Kathy

Author: waterfell Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 96664 of 176611
Subject: Re: Another hostage killing Date: 11/16/2004 3:36 PM
Recommendations: 2
Eric writes:
Bad translation. The actual reason was:
" We will not air the tape because we fear that this will harden the resolve of the American people and show the insurgents for the blatent savages that they are. If we figure a way to make this look like the fault of the US, we will start showing it in heavy rotation."

---------------------------------------

It may not be just the effect on the American people, but also to Al Jazeera's main audience, which are Arabs. Even the people at Al Jazeera might have been outraged that Muslims would behave so savagely. Muslim society is chauvinistic and patriarchal, but they still consider themselves to be protectors of women. (As I understand it, anyway.)

Author: Ahote Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 96708 of 176611
Subject: Re: Another hostage killing Date: 11/16/2004 9:45 PM
Recommendations: 1
Bad translation. The actual reason was:...

Eric, here is a suggestion for you: watch "Control Room" and you might get some perspective on Al Jazeera. They are not everything you make them out to be, nor what Rumsfeld pretends they are.

They are biased - wouldn't you be? After all, they are Arabs and reflect what Arabs think.

I personally consider Al Jazeera to be an excellent source on Middle eastern news and so do all my Middle eastern friends and acquaintances.

they have been very harshly judged in Arab countries, where they have reported civil rights issues and violations of human rights. They are often refferred to as America's mouthpiece.

Jammed between two stones, I feel they are doing an excellent job. Who is better placed than they to give you serious news rom the Middle East? You also cannot compare them to FOX NEWS.

Control Room is available on DVD from Netflix (of which I am a hurting shareholder).

Regards

Ahote

Author: Ziege19 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 96766 of 176611
Subject: Re: Another hostage killing Date: 11/17/2004 1:02 PM
Recommendations: 1
If Maragaret Hassan's murder surprised you, you don't understand what we are up against. If it made you remember how brutal terrorists can be, then you are the one that needs reminding; many of us don't.

Caterwauling about how it should serve as a reminder of what Terrorists are capable of (as if any of us really forgot…I firmly believe such admonishments against forgetting that Al-Qaeda are a band of murderous thugs say much more about the admonisher than the admonished).

If her murder hardened your resolve, then your resolve wasn't strong enough in the first place. Those of us who wept at news of her death have nothing to prove to people like yourself.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement