UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (21) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: jpkiljan One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 756646  
Subject: Re: retire early study Date: 2/12/2000 8:12 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Another matter for anyone to consider in moving to another state is will you still be liable for taxes on your deferred compensation or other retirement program in your old state. For example, I work for the state of Colorado and also have a 401(k) plan--both are funded mostly with deferred income during my working career. I haven't checked, but it would seem unusual if Colorado allowed my employer (in this case the State itself) to pay me those deferred wages, without a substantial withholding, just because I was receiving those checks in another state. The taxes were deferred in this state and deferred doesn't really mean 'waived.' Of course, the rules probably vary by state. You might check with whomever is providing your pension checks and other deferred compensation payouts before you count on avoiding these taxes entirely.

-- Good luck, -- John

Foolishtomtom wrote in reply to Chips:
"In the matter of California and Arizona taxes: Nevada is, more or less, between those two
states, with ready access to them both. Nevada's state income tax rate is zero. I plan to
move there from California in May. C'mon, vote with your feet!"

' Chips, here's a question for ya: Suppose just before you move to NV from CA you exercise a bunch of
stock options & then quit (or perhaps you've exercised them recently). Now, once in NV, you sell. Will
CA come after you for their 9% ? I can't seem to get a straight answer on this, perhaps you can shed
some light?
thanx,
-tom '
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (21) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement