No. of Recommendations: 1
Another option is to contact the annuity holder and see if you can do a rollover to a self directed IRA. Set your SDIRA up with someone and then have them fill out the papers for the annuity transfer.

It is important that the check not come to you, but go directly to the agent holding your SDIRA. You might still have to pay a surrender fee, but you will avoid the 10% penalty and will not lose the tax defered status.

If you annuity holder is like most, this will be a difficult process, but you shold be able to accomplish it through persitence and perserverance.

I am working on this for my wife's annuity from a 401K.

Good luck,

G Wayne
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.