Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 2
Another option may be ..... if she has or can open a self-directed Traditional IRA at a brokerage firm, she can then request her company to directly roll-over the $42K to the IRA account. There will be no immediate tax consequences but she may have mandatory RMD withdrawals depending if she is over 70 1/2 years of age. Also if she is under 59 1/2 and she withdraws the funds there will be a 10% penalty in addition to her "regular taxes" This also assumes she qualifies for a Trad IRA and can adequately manage her investments as a previous poster noted.
Without knowing her age this strategy may or may not be prudent.

Just food for thought.

Print the post  


When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.