Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (20) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Milligram46 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 11704  
Subject: Another Reason To Dislike The Steelers... Date: 6/12/2006 2:29 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
...never mind the horrible officiating at last years Superbowl or how largely the Steelers have been the Patriots BEOTCHs for the last decade (I like that part). Now Big Ben is setting a grand example for the youth of America.

Motorcycle helmets? Ehhhhh - who needs 'em.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13279232/

Personally I think the Steelers should make their ASSET protect himself within logical reason off of the field. They have a huge investment in this guy. It just drives me freakin' up the wall when perceived role models, especially those that appeal to youth do absolutely idiotic things. Big Ben don't need no stinkin' helment, neither do I. Appears he got off lucky...
Print the post Back To Top
Author: 3BeeJay3 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7387 of 11704
Subject: Re: Another Reason To Dislike The Steelers... Date: 6/12/2006 4:43 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
So why does he bother wearing one on the game field?

I'm suprised it's not in his contract. Most stick and ball players have clauses restricting them from dangerous activities.

BJ

Author: SirYoda Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7388 of 11704
Subject: Re: Another Reason To Dislike The Steelers... Date: 6/12/2006 5:03 PM
Recommendations: 3
Now Big Ben is setting a grand example for the youth of America.

Motorcycle helmets? Ehhhhh - who needs 'em....

It just drives me freakin' up the wall when perceived role models, especially those that appeal to youth do absolutely idiotic things. Big Ben don't need no stinkin' helment, neither do I. Appears he got off lucky...

I would just point out he was well within the (local) laws and that he was not doing anything illegal. While helmets "make sense," it's not like he was doing drugs or any one of a 1000 illegal things "role models" do these days. Without getting into the issues around helmets and "nanny government," I think you are a bit harsh on someone who was doing something perfectly legal......

Personally I think the Steelers should make their ASSET protect himself within logical reason off of the field. They have a huge investment in this guy.

Absolutely no argument there! Rather surprised its not in his contract, actually (or even that his contract doesn't phrohibit riding altogether!).

FWIW,

Yoda

Author: dbruce100 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7389 of 11704
Subject: Re: Another Reason To Dislike The Steelers... Date: 6/12/2006 5:11 PM
Recommendations: 5
Without getting into the issues around helmets and "nanny government," I think you are a bit harsh on someone who was doing something perfectly legal.....

Darwinism in action!!!!

Author: ModernViking Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7390 of 11704
Subject: Re: Another Reason To Dislike The Steelers... Date: 6/13/2006 8:42 AM
I'm suprised it's not in his contract. Most stick and ball players have clauses restricting them from dangerous activities.

Oh, worry not - it is. As with all contracts between NFL teams and players, it is a standard condition in his contract that he not engage in any activities which threaten his ability to play football. Rothlisberger risks losing his salary for whatever portion of the season he misses and the Steelers can effectively extend his obligation with the team to recover "lost time". The team could also seek a recovery of a prorated portion of his starting bonus.

While riding without a helmet is incredibly risky, it is also incredibly exilharating and, IMO, enhances the awareness of one's surroundings which some riders argue is a mitigating safety factor in the decision whether or not to wear a helmet. Motorcycle riding, all by itself, is an incredibly risky activity which is why, as a parent, I don't do it anymore. I lack the experience to deal with the plethora of stupid drivers in Maryland.

Look, I'm not a Steelers fan but let's wish the guy the best, OK?

MV

Author: TMFTwitty Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7391 of 11704
Subject: Re: Another Reason To Dislike The Steelers... Date: 6/13/2006 9:30 AM
Personally I think the Steelers should make their ASSET protect himself within logical reason off of the field.

I was annoyed at the coverage given the story all day long up here in Erie. You'd think he was somebody important or something.

Anyway, the qualities that make him a great football player may influence his personal life. Risk-taking, in-your-face devil-may-care (shoot, ran out of hyphens) activities go with the territory. He's not the type to drive his sedate Buick to a quiet afternoon at the library.

If we can mandate seat belts, we can mandate helmets. Some CNN guy said (so it must be true) that half of helmet-less motorcycle riders incurring head injuries are without health insurance, so the taxpayer picks up the bills that often run into hundreds of thousands of dollars for severe head injuries. That trumps the sacrifice of wind in your hair for me.

Richard

Author: DuckyDuck Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7392 of 11704
Subject: Re: Another Reason To Dislike The Steelers... Date: 6/13/2006 9:54 AM
Up here in yonder Michigan, the (Republican) state house and senate passed a bill to allow riders to go without helmets, provided that they carry insurance. That would alleviate just a little bit of the "taxpayer burden" argument.

However, Jennifer the Gov is promising to VETO it and leave the current law (helmets mandatory all the time) as it is.

Duck

Author: rinjr715 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7393 of 11704
Subject: Re: Another Reason To Dislike The Steelers... Date: 6/13/2006 9:59 AM
That would be about the only thing Jennifer the Gov ever did right.

Author: crobinso Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7394 of 11704
Subject: Re: Another Reason To Dislike The Steelers... Date: 6/13/2006 10:18 AM
Recommendations: 2
Ben is 24, young and therefore stupid. He thinks there is no such thing as death, at least he did before the crash. I'll be checking the headlines for his first post-crash interview to see if he's changed his mind about motorcycles and/or helmets.

Charles

Author: dbruce100 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7395 of 11704
Subject: Re: Another Reason To Dislike The Steelers... Date: 6/13/2006 10:20 AM
Recommendations: 2
That would be about the only thing Jennifer the Gov ever did right.

While I agree with the other poster on the freedom feeling without a helmet and all that, the new helmets get rid of a lot of the vision issues of the past. Most of the riders I've seen bitching about helmets have a Snell version from the early 80's.

The new helmets have excellent vision and the only reason I can see not to wear them is similar to not wearing a seatbelt.....pure stupidity. Pay a couple of hundred for a good helmet and then tell me you can't see or hear anything.

I had one friend killed (identical twin and I still have trouble getting the name right at times) and another acquaintance that looked a bit like Frankenstein with some serious brain damage. Actually, I know another guy with one leg shorter then the other also. I don't even ride and I know all these people with serious injuries.

If you love being free on a motorcycle....that's great. Just consider how free you will feel stuck in a bed trying to figure out how to add 1+1.

Author: rogershera1 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7396 of 11704
Subject: Re: Another Reason To Dislike The Steelers... Date: 6/13/2006 10:23 AM
Up here in yonder Michigan, the (Republican) state house and senate passed a bill to allow riders to go without helmets, provided that they carry insurance. That would alleviate just a little bit of the "taxpayer burden" argument.

++++++++++

Do all helmet less riders get pulled over to check?
Do they get something ( difficult to forge / steal ) to attach to their bike?
If they don't wear & don't have and have serious accident with head injury will the state say 'screw you' no hospital has to treat you for free or taxpayer expense?

In a way not really opposed to the last one....
Ya heas the fun but know the chances ya takes.

Author: TMFTwitty Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7397 of 11704
Subject: Re: Another Reason To Dislike The Steelers... Date: 6/13/2006 11:13 AM
I'll be checking the headlines for his first post-crash interview to see if he's changed his mind about motorcycles and/or helmets.

Eating a windshield changes one's perspective, often.

Richard

Author: Milligram46 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7398 of 11704
Subject: Re: Another Reason To Dislike The Steelers... Date: 6/13/2006 1:05 PM
While I agree with the other poster on the freedom feeling without a helmet and all that, the new helmets get rid of a lot of the vision issues of the past. Most of the riders I've seen bitching about helmets have a Snell version from the early 80's.

The new helmets have excellent vision and the only reason I can see not to wear them is similar to not wearing a seatbelt.....pure stupidity. Pay a couple of hundred for a good helmet and then tell me you can't see or hear anything.

I had one friend killed (identical twin and I still have trouble getting the name right at times) and another acquaintance that looked a bit like Frankenstein with some serious brain damage. Actually, I know another guy with one leg shorter then the other also. I don't even ride and I know all these people with serious injuries.

If you love being free on a motorcycle....that's great. Just consider how free you will feel stuck in a bed trying to figure out how to add 1+1.

When I was in driver's school for the SCCA and one of the first discussions was on safety and gear, both required and recommended the instructor said something to me back in March of 1989 that I have never forgotten.

"If you have a $50 head, buy a $50 helmet."

My Arai was comfortable, afforded excellent vision, provided full protection including my jaw, and wasn't excessively hot or deadened sound to the point that I was in a vacuum.

Author: Milligram46 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7399 of 11704
Subject: Re: Another Reason To Dislike The Steelers... Date: 6/13/2006 1:06 PM
Happy Foolish Aniversary TWITTY! Nice balloons you're sportin' there!

Author: SirYoda Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7400 of 11704
Subject: Re: Another Reason To Dislike The Steelers... Date: 6/13/2006 1:48 PM
If we can mandate seat belts, we can mandate helmets. Some CNN guy said (so it must be true) that half of helmet-less motorcycle riders incurring head injuries are without health insurance, so the taxpayer picks up the bills that often run into hundreds of thousands of dollars for severe head injuries. That trumps the sacrifice of wind in your hair for me.
==============================

The "taxpayer burden" argument has a lot of validity to it. As does the "individual freedom of choice without govt oversight" argument (for BOTH seatbelts and helmets, BTW).

From a "playing football" perspective, the most problematic injuries to Big Ben are his knees, I would think (assuming no brain damage). He can throw the ball with a busted jaw. But if he can't srcamble and move, then what??

IOW, a helmet may not have saved him from the most dangerous injuries (from a football perspective). Therefore the "dangerous activities" clause takes on greater importance.

Wanna bet his lawyers argue that engaing in a legal activity, on city streets, when within all local laws, etc. does NOT constitute "dangerous activities" as defined by the NFL?

Yoda

Author: DuckyDuck Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7401 of 11704
Subject: Re: Another Reason To Dislike The Steelers... Date: 6/13/2006 1:52 PM
When I was in driver's school for the SCCA and one of the first discussions was on safety and gear, both required and recommended the instructor said something to me back in March of 1989 that I have never forgotten.
"If you have a $50 head, buy a $50 helmet."

Probably said at a lot of other places, like my MSF safety class. I was a "budget" motorcycle rider, but I always bought the best stuff for safety. Full face helmet, leather jacket and chaps, Sears "engineer boots", and a one-piece rainsuit.

My Arai was comfortable, afforded excellent vision, provided full protection including my jaw, and wasn't excessively hot or deadened sound to the point that I was in a vacuum.

With my full-face Bieffe's, I never had sound isolated such that I felt that I didn't hear "enough". I prefer to call it "filtered". That is, wihle some of the sound of riding in total is reduced, you do want SOME noise reduced, such as wind roar and some engine noise. But the helmet still allowed me to hear important stuff like foot-pegs/exhaust-parts touching the pavement, other vehicles, quirks in the engine (being able to just listen when the choke needs to go in a little further), and other details like that. Anti-helmet nuts that I've spoken with have claimed that "ya can't hear NUTHIN' while wearin' one of them 'death buckets'". But then then can't defend 3/4 or open-face helmets that easily, either.

Duck

Author: TMFTwitty Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7402 of 11704
Subject: Re: Another Reason To Dislike The Steelers... Date: 6/13/2006 3:13 PM
Happy Foolish Aniversary TWITTY! Nice balloons you're sportin' there!

Author: sunrayman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7403 of 11704
Subject: Re: Another Reason To Dislike The Steelers... Date: 6/13/2006 6:56 PM
Yeah, nice ballo0ons you're sportin' there!

;-)

Author: dbruce100 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7404 of 11704
Subject: Re: Another Reason To Dislike The Steelers... Date: 6/15/2006 5:18 PM
Update:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060615/sp_nm/nhl_roethlisberger_dc_4

Something tells me Ben likes helmets now that his face sets off metal detectors.

Author: dbruce100 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7406 of 11704
Subject: Re: Another Reason To Dislike The Steelers... Date: 6/15/2006 9:00 PM
Update 2:

Ben has seen the light:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-roethlisbergeraccident&prov=ap&type=lgns

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (20) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement