Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: culcha Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19380  
Subject: another SS question Date: 10/23/2012 3:28 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
DW says that I have to have my original SS card in order to get any benefits from them -- but I haven't seen that card in years...

I know my number though. Is that enough? Do I need to get a replacement card or something?

culcha
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18007 of 19380
Subject: Re: another SS question Date: 10/23/2012 3:37 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
DW says that I have to have my original SS card in order to get any benefits from them -- but I haven't seen that card in years...

I know my number though. Is that enough? Do I need to get a replacement card or something?

I did mine completely online with zero documentation.

Phil
Rule Your Retirement Home Fool

Author: billjam Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18013 of 19380
Subject: Re: another SS question Date: 10/24/2012 6:19 AM
I misplaced my SS card, although I thought I knew where it was. I was able to go to the local SS office and show my driver's license, which had both a photo and my SS number on it. Had a new SS card soon after. Illinois no longer includes SS number on the driver's license so it might be harder now.

You will need a birth certificate to apply for SS benefits. I discovered what I had always thought was a birth certificate was actually a "registration of birth" from the US Commerce department. This was apparently what they did in 1945. Luckily Pennsylvania allows application for a replacement birth certificate online was simple and only cost $10.

Just get all your documents in order a few months before you apply for SS benefits and the process is simple.

As an aside, that replacement SS card I got by showing my Illinois driver's license later came in handy. Illionis started requiring proof of ID to renew a license and I had to show my SS card. A little irony there.

Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18015 of 19380
Subject: Re: another SS question Date: 10/24/2012 7:11 AM
Recommendations: 1
I discovered what I had always thought was a birth certificate was actually a "registration of birth" from the US Commerce department.

How strange. Do you have any idea why your birth was registered with the Commerce Department? My brother and I, born in '46 and '48, had only "Certificates of Live Birth" from Kansas. Of course, Kansas may have sent something to the Feds without our getting a copy, but this is weird.

Just thinking out loud, since it's Commerce and 1945, I wonder whether this had something to do with mid-decade census updates.

Phil
Rule Your Retirement Home Fool

Author: Brooklyn1948 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18017 of 19380
Subject: Re: another SS question Date: 10/24/2012 9:56 AM
I did mine completely online with zero documentation

So did I.

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18018 of 19380
Subject: Re: another SS question Date: 10/24/2012 11:45 AM
Called up my local office a few months before it was time.

They had all my records on file. Didn't have to provide anything..

If you've been filing tax forms and your employer has been filing the right forms, you should be all set.

That was 4 years ago.

Did have to fill out form telling them I wanted my benefits starting at age 2.

Medicare - same way....automatically kicked in......

Supplement - wow..that generated 25 lbs of mail and solicitations......and everyone who wants to sell you one wants a 'face to face' meeting to explain the benefits. I don't think the law allows you to do it any other way it seems.

Then you get bombarded year after year with more mail for Medicare Advantage plans and for changing supplement providers.

t.

Author: CABob Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18021 of 19380
Subject: Re: another SS question Date: 10/24/2012 12:32 PM
I discovered what I had always thought was a birth certificate was actually a "registration of birth" from the US Commerce department. This was apparently what they did in 1945.
I also had a birth registration from the Commerce Department which I thought was a birth certificate for many years. This was from 1939 in Michigan. Twenty-one years later when I wanted to purchase alcohol I found out I needed a birth certificate and got one at that time.

Bob

Author: Donna405 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18035 of 19380
Subject: Re: another SS question Date: 10/26/2012 11:23 PM
I applied for my SS online. I did not have to show a SS card or a driver's license. Everything went very smoothly.

I was told that this could be accomplished due to the documentation that SS had on me.

Donna

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement