UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: CouchPoDATO One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76079  
Subject: Another take on insurance Date: 8/19/1997 1:53 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Fools,

I have a slightly view on insurance than some of the posts I've been reading, so I figured I toss it out there.

1. Life insurance & health insurance are NOT investment decisions.

2. All other insurance is purely a matter of comfort.

Let me briefly explain what I mean. When it comes to life & health insurance, we are talking about non-material things which can't be replaced. If you become seriously ill (or die), you do not want to be in a position where you (and your family) are devistated physically and financially. You do not want to be bargain hunting when it comes to medical care and you do not want to be choosing - Should I take the method which will allow me to walk or the method that will allow me to buy food? Making this an investment decision is very shortsighted. Choose the best cost for value insurance you can get now, but don't leave you (or your family) exposed to complete devistation.

For any other insurance (auto, home, etc.) you can afford to gamble a little bit more. If you total your car and you don't have a lot of money saved in liquid assets, it probably won't be financially devistating (although it may be a tough change to go from a BMW to a VW). The same may hold true for your home allbeit, to a lesser degree. The point is, these are material items which can be replaced. If your current financial position will not allow you purchase an identical replacement, you shouldn't be devistated by having to scale down (even if that mean cheaper furniture in a smaller home).

Just my two cents,

CouchPoDATO
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFPixy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 198 of 76079
Subject: Re: Another take on insurance Date: 8/19/1997 5:58 PM
Recommendations: 0
Yo, CouchpoDaDo.

<< Making this an
investment decision is very shortsighted. Choose the best cost for value insurance you can get now, but don't leave you (or your family) exposed to complete devistation.>>

Well said! Certainly fits my way of thinking.

Regards.....Pixy

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement