No. of Recommendations: 0
Another thing to keep in mind. At 26, you were just just about being born when the IRA was just raising its head as a viable investment tool. Until then, SS and company pension plans were just about all there was. And bank savings accounts and CDs. Until Schwab led the way, small investors were few and far between.

I am not trying to argue with your point of view because it is valid. I am requesting that you also look at the history behind the opportunities you have available to you at 26 that the people you are apparently berating might not have at their 26. It is late in the day for some of them. You can build on what went before. To put it in perspective, my grandmother had a hand wringer washer and an ice box that had to have ice put in it. Should I sneer at her because I can now own a washer/dryer combo and a refrigerator that provides ice water and cubes?

Educating people is always difficult and you are correct, too many depend on the government to do their thinking or planning for them. But neither of us will change human nature. But we can come to places like The Fool and educatate ourselves. I wish you great wealth and much education.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement