UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: ResNullius Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 734568  
Subject: Another View of Fiscal Cliff Deal Date: 1/12/2013 5:01 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
Everyone has been jumping on the Repubs for getting their pockets picked by Obama and his tax machine. Look, without a deal, everyone's tax rates would have gone up, cap gains up, dividends way up, estate taxes way up. With the deal, about 99% of taxpayers see their rates stay at the Bush levels, both for income and cap gains/divdends, and also for estate taxes. AMT also got sort of fixed. Everything considered, it was a great deal for my family. My cap gains and dividend distributions from Vanguard get taxed at 15%. My other income gets all or mostly taxed at 15%. We get a $10M estate tax exemption, indexed for inflation. Yes, Obama gets a little more from the top .5%, but a lot less from everyone else, and the changes are indexed and supposedly permanent, which means they should stay the same as long as the Repubs hold some power in Congress or have the White House. As for SS withholdings, they were always supposed to go back up anyway, plus I'm retired and simply don't care about those taxes anymore, other than the extra money helping to pay me off in my older years. Not a bad deal, if you ask me. Now, the Repubs need to hold the line on spending, and the sequester isn't a bad starting point if you ask me. The Dems will have far greater pain than the Repubs, other than defense spending, but it's past time to cut defense spending in this country. Let France, or the UK, or the UN, or just about anyone else spend their money trying to save the Third World from destroying itself. A good Navy, Air Force, Marines, and Special Ops should be more than sufficient to destroy most threats overseas.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement