No. of Recommendations: 4
Everyone has been jumping on the Repubs for getting their pockets picked by Obama and his tax machine. Look, without a deal, everyone's tax rates would have gone up, cap gains up, dividends way up, estate taxes way up. With the deal, about 99% of taxpayers see their rates stay at the Bush levels, both for income and cap gains/divdends, and also for estate taxes. AMT also got sort of fixed. Everything considered, it was a great deal for my family. My cap gains and dividend distributions from Vanguard get taxed at 15%. My other income gets all or mostly taxed at 15%. We get a $10M estate tax exemption, indexed for inflation. Yes, Obama gets a little more from the top .5%, but a lot less from everyone else, and the changes are indexed and supposedly permanent, which means they should stay the same as long as the Repubs hold some power in Congress or have the White House. As for SS withholdings, they were always supposed to go back up anyway, plus I'm retired and simply don't care about those taxes anymore, other than the extra money helping to pay me off in my older years. Not a bad deal, if you ask me. Now, the Repubs need to hold the line on spending, and the sequester isn't a bad starting point if you ask me. The Dems will have far greater pain than the Repubs, other than defense spending, but it's past time to cut defense spending in this country. Let France, or the UK, or the UN, or just about anyone else spend their money trying to save the Third World from destroying itself. A good Navy, Air Force, Marines, and Special Ops should be more than sufficient to destroy most threats overseas.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
So the Fiscal Cliff was really all just a Brer Rabbit moment?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7tyhpWiZyM
Everyone has been jumping on the Repubs for getting their pockets picked by Obama and his tax machine. Look, without a deal, everyone's tax rates would have gone up, cap gains up, dividends way up, estate taxes way up. With the deal, about 99% of taxpayers see their rates stay at the Bush levels, both for income and cap gains/divdends, and also for estate taxes.

Well all I can say is congratulations. With the budget deal your taxes should also not go up, and you can remain happy as a clam-- not only will none of your taxes go up, but none of your services or benefits going forward will be cut in the next deal

You should make out like a bandit. The Republicans are exactly counting on folks with the opinion you just stated. Which is why they cave to the Dems

Enjoy your harvest
No. of Recommendations: 7
You should make out like a bandit. The Republicans are exactly counting on folks with the opinion you just stated. Which is why they cave to the Dems

Personally, I'm looking out first and foremost for myself and my family. I can't change the horrible direction that liberals are taking this country, and neither can the Repubs. Make the best of a terrible situation. I would much rather be a winner than a loser when the politicians play their games.
Personally, I'm looking out first and foremost for myself and my family.

That's exactly the way I'm looking at the destruction of our country, too.
Personally, I'm looking out first and foremost for myself and my family. I can't change the horrible direction that liberals are taking this country, and neither can the Repubs. Make the best of a terrible situation. I would much rather be a winner than a loser when the politicians play their games.

I certainly understand, and do not blame you in the least.

As I said, enjoy your harvest, for indeed we do reap what we sow. And bad policy is cool as long as I make out is a very healthy weed, like Tomatoes, some things that are essentially weeds are very tasty.

You are of course right, nothing can change the country, and the drip of well we can afford to do this and we can afford to do that and the chips of moral decay that evolved society, they could never derail America.

You are so right, small change, over and over again, can not yield dramatic results. So nothing can change. Good point.
And bad policy is cool as long as I make out is a very healthy weed, like tomatoes, some things that are essentially weeds are very tasty.

Tomatoes are a weed? I thought they were technically a fruit.
Tomatoes are a weed? I thought they were technically a fruit.

They are, but I was really speaking on how they take over when they are not tended and how good they are when they are.

BTW, a fruit can be a weed, most definitions I know is a weed is just an invasive plant that grows where you do not want, which if you have ever seen tomatoes go untended for a year, would definitely lead you to call them a weed -- particularly with the wild tomato offspring not even fruiting.
particularly with the wild tomato offspring not even fruiting.

Volunteer tomatoes don't fruit? Volunteer tomatoes from hybrids results in random tomato varieties, but the ones I have allowed to mature have produced fruit.
Volunteer tomatoes don't fruit? Volunteer tomatoes from hybrids results in random tomato varieties, but the ones I have allowed to mature have produced fruit.

IF you save the seeds, they fruit, if you let the plants just decay some roots stay alive, I have yet to see any of them fruit.

I had the unfortunate scenario of twice having problems at the end of tomato season that ran through to early summer that kept me from the garden.

Both times I was over-run with tomato-like weeds -- and this was from different varieties of tomato. It is now 3 years since the last problem and I still have some of those little varmints popping up.

I have grown them from saved seed, and that is not a problem -- the weeding situation seems different at least from my experience.
IF you save the seeds, they fruit, if you let the plants just decay some roots stay alive, I have yet to see any of them fruit.

Okay, the ones I allowed to survive were likely from seed. There were originally only a few tomato plants but hundreds of volunteer plants.
"particularly with the wild tomato offspring not even fruiting".
----------------------
"Volunteer tomatoes don't fruit? Volunteer tomatoes from hybrids results in random tomato varieties, but the ones I have allowed to mature have produced fruit." vkg

---------------------

The volunteer tomatoes I've seen usually produce cherry tomatoes. When I was a kid in Garden Grove, California there were some empty lots and they had cherry tomato plants growing "wild" in them.

When I lived in Athens, Georgia over by the dog pound there was some empty ground and a big hill. On the other side of the big hill there were always some wild cherry tomatoes growing. One of the guys who worked at the dog pound told me the reason there were volunteer cherry tomatoes there was because he said people would go on the other side of the hill and take a dump and the tomatoes grew up from seeds in people's stool. It actually sort of made sense to me. Needless to say I didn't ever pick those little tomatoes even though they were actually pretty nice looking cherry tomatoes.

Art
I'm not necessarily upset with the deal as such (not that I love it, but given the hand we were dealt it was a better-than-the-worst-case-scenario solution) but it didn't need as much GOP support as it got. Even Congresscritters can do simple math, there's no reason 85 GOP reps had to vote for this bill. All that does is give enough of an aura of "bipartisanship" to let the Dems do what they always do: blame the GOP for their crap. Not that they wouldn't do it anyway, but it would be more obvious if only 17 (or however many) GOP reps voted for it while 200 voted against it.

The House GOP is playing checkers while the Pres./Reid are playing chess. THAT'S the crappy part.
Repubs got called obstructionists for 0care when not one voted for it. And the MSM lapdogs in heat for 0 peddled that narrative over and over as if it were true.

Damned if they do, damned if they don't.
Advertisement