UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: bigcaat Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75799  
Subject: Re: Help for mom... Date: 3/14/2001 8:40 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Another wholehearted vote for Vanguard.

Whatever you do, I wouldn't take the advice of any financial consultant that works on commission. Believe me, most of them don't have your mother's best interest at heart. Most are more concerned with how much they can make if they can talk you into their "sale of the day."

Another option is to open your Vanguard account (after considering the advise you have gotten from the other Fools regarding your post...and...after reading books like "Mutual Funds for Dummies" and "Investing For Dummies" by Tyson) and then consider opening an account at someplace like Schwab. At Schwab you have access to non-commissioned brokers who can give you advice as well. (You do need to have a $20,000 balance there, however, to avoid quarterly fees. Check the website or call them and have them explain the fee information to you.)

Meanwhile, while you are deciding, put your money in a money market account (which you can also get through Schwab if you decide you're going to open that anyway...or...through a Vanguard Money Market) rather than a savings account. The interest will be much higher.

Good Luck,
bc

(btw...I have no affiliation with either Vanguard or Schwab other than that is how I chose to invest my money.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement