UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: tpoh One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Global Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 65369  
Subject: Anti virus software for OS X Date: 6/9/2007 2:12 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0

Sorry if this has been discussed before but I couldn't find it in a search ...

What do you think is the best anti virus software for the Mac (I have an Intel OS X 10.4.7)?

I saw in some discussions the opinion that you don't need anti virus software for the mac, do you agree? I'm not sure I trust having no virus checked if I install applications from sources that I don't completely trust.

I saw on the apple site a link to ClamAVx a free virus checker - is it any good?
The reviews on Amazon.com for Norton anti-virus on the other hand were very bad.

Thanks for your help.

tpoh
Print the post Back To Top
Author: crassfool Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 38311 of 65369
Subject: Re: Anti virus software for OS X Date: 6/9/2007 2:33 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 23
tpoh says

What do you think is the best anti virus software for the Mac (I have an Intel OS X 10.4.7)?

I saw in some discussions the opinion that you don't need anti virus software for the mac, do you agree? I'm not sure I trust having no virus checked if I install applications from sources that I don't completely trust.

The best antivirus software for the Mac is none. All Mac antivirus software available today is a fraud to one degree or another.

Today there are no viruses for the Mac, outside of laboratory demos. None. If you put on antivirus software today, and tomorrow a genuine Mac virus appears in the wild, the antivirus software won't spot it. So at least wait until a genuine wild virus is reported, then wait long enough for the antivirus software vendors catch up with it.

Author: dbsf Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 38321 of 65369
Subject: Re: Anti virus software for OS X Date: 6/9/2007 1:14 PM
<<So at least wait until a genuine wild virus is reported, then wait long enough for the antivirus software vendors catch up with it. >>

Or better (cheaper) yet, wait for Apple to write the patch as an update.

David/sf

Author: PKnudsen Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 38327 of 65369
Subject: Re: Anti virus software for OS X Date: 6/9/2007 7:28 PM
Now if I just had a few grand for a high-end Mac.

Author: Chopec Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 38336 of 65369
Subject: Re: Anti virus software for OS X Date: 6/11/2007 3:06 PM
Recommendations: 1
I haven't run an antivirus program for years because, as someone else pointed out, there's yet to be a virus released in the wild. Why bog down my system with something so unnecessary.

I install a fair amount of share/freeware, but I'm not into the dodgy areas of computing, so your experience may be different. I'm more at risk of bad programming than malicious intent.

Chopec

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement