Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
Any advice on if I can use one or both? Couldn't I take the tax deduction for year paid, 2000, and then use my cafeteria plan for dates of service in 2001?

I read your plan differently from the previous responder. My assumption is that you plan to pay the total cost of the care with a combination of post-tax year 2000 payments and pre-tax 2001 cafeteria plan payments. No problem, and it sounds like good tax planning to me.

Phil Marti
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.