UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: LLRinCO Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 37076  
Subject: Any horticulturalist out there? Date: 9/7/2012 7:45 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I have a Juniper tree that is too fat for my patio. Instead of removing it, I would like to trim it. Is this a bad time of year to be "shaving" my tree? I was just going to run the trimmer up the sides.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35907 of 37076
Subject: Re: Any horticulturalist out there? Date: 9/7/2012 10:04 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
I sent an email to my brother about this. It's one of his specialties. He should be home soon, provided he left shortly after I did.

Nancy
it's been a really long day.

Author: LLRinCO Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35908 of 37076
Subject: Re: Any horticulturalist out there? Date: 9/7/2012 10:54 PM
Thanks Nancy!!

Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35909 of 37076
Subject: Re: Any horticulturalist out there? Date: 9/11/2012 9:10 AM
Recommendations: 1
About the juniper.

Junipers develop this 'dead zone' on the inside, and there will never be any growth on the dead wood. So you need to be very careful about pruning or the tree will simply die.

Waiting until very early spring, before the new buds start, is the ideal time. Can you wait that long?

Nancy

Author: LLRinCO Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35916 of 37076
Subject: Re: Any horticulturalist out there? Date: 9/12/2012 8:39 PM
Thanks Nancy. Yes, we can wait until spring.

When we planted them (4) around our front patio they were about 3 feet tall and skinny. Now, 6 years later they are huge. Not the right choice for that location! We ended up taking one out last weekend and will probably remove another next spring. I will be looking for slender bushes as replacements.

Author: BookishFool Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35920 of 37076
Subject: Re: Any horticulturalist out there? Date: 9/17/2012 5:41 PM
Try Ilex crenata 'Sky Pencil' - fantastic slender evergreen, assuming it's hardy in your location. http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/gardens-gardening/you...

~mary anna
(and I concur... the junipers will be much happier if you leave them be til spring.)

Author: LLRinCO Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35922 of 37076
Subject: Re: Any horticulturalist out there? Date: 9/18/2012 1:11 AM
Try Ilex crenata 'Sky Pencil'

OOOH, that looks perfect....thanks!!

Author: BookishFool Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35923 of 37076
Subject: Re: Any horticulturalist out there? Date: 9/18/2012 9:25 AM
Glad to be of help!

~mary anna
(plant geek)

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement