Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
Any ideas of how to fill-in the Form to get me up to allowances of 8-10?

So, I'll assume you can fill in lines 1-4 by yourself, since I don't know your name, address, etc.
To get ten entered in the form on line 5, you write a "1", closely followed by a "0".
Then you sign it, and hand that in to your payroll department, who will update their withholding.


seriously though -
So long as you're withholding enough taxes that you don't owe additional on April 15th, the IRS doesn't care.

And even if you do owe additional there are safe harbors - like if you with-held 110% of last years owed taxes (100% if under a certain AGI; $150K I think) - you can find info on these safe harbors by searching "withholding safe harbor"

If 10 allowances gets you to 110% of the taxes you paid in the previous year, fill out the form with 10 on line 5, and hand it in.
If you don't want to jump all the way to 10, and want to see your first couple paychecks with 8 or 9 instead, fill in 8 or 9 and give it to payroll, see what your paycheck is, annualize it, and submit a new one with 10 if you want to go to 10 (or accept getting a few dollars back in refund in March/April).
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.