Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: mathetes Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Motley Fool One Everlasting Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121061  
Subject: Re: Financial/Tax Planners - ISO AMT Date: 2/1/2000 8:48 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Any ideas on how to locate a Financial/Tax Planner who understands ISO AMT and exercise planning?

I've found an excellent tax accountant who knows how to properly insert the correct values and grind the numbers using professional tax prep tools (good for looking at only one year), but this is not enough.

What I need is a multi-year planner with appropriate risk assessment and management to prevent becoming badly upside down because of a market correction that reduces a momentum inflated valuation down to one where a value investor (aka a "Foolish" small cap investor) will buy it.

If and when you find one, post the name and phone number please.

Like you, I have an excellent tax accountant, one who knows well how to use his software to figure this year's taxes, or to run any "what-if" scenario that I propose. BUT, he readily admits that ISO-related AMT is a relatively new area to him -- he had to go to somebody else initially with a lot of his questions -- and thinking strategically about them is just beyond his ken.

In other words, it's up to us, the clients, to think of the what-if, to invent alternative scenarios that can be run through the software. That's a more than a little unsettling, considering the potential magnitude of the taxes involved.....

mathetes

By the way, have you read up on the subject over at www.fairmark.com?
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement