UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: darthballs One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 73008  
Subject: Any interest in Marijuana / hemp plays? Date: 11/14/2012 2:35 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Found a pretty interesting article on the renewed interest in various marijuana pure plays:

http://money.msn.com/top-stocks/post.aspx?post=55419f1f-b43b...

Pure play: MJNA
Medical research play: CBIS
Hemp play: HEMP

I'm thinking about getting a small basket of the above, but especially interested in the potential of industrial use hemp. I've read quite a few articles recently that say that the real money will be not in the drug itself, but in hemp. I will try and dig some up to post for more info.

Thoughts?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: tamhas Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 65456 of 73008
Subject: Re: Any interest in Marijuana / hemp plays? Date: 11/14/2012 2:53 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Seems unlikely to be any patent moats available ...

Author: rjf53 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 65457 of 73008
Subject: Re: Any interest in Marijuana / hemp plays? Date: 11/14/2012 5:27 PM
Seems unlikely to be any patent moats available ...

Coke, Pepsi and KFC didn't get where they are because of patents.

It's the secret recipe.

Heck if someone could replicate the Colombian Gold or Panama Red of my youth I might just give it a go again. :<)

B

Author: tamhas Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 65458 of 73008
Subject: Re: Any interest in Marijuana / hemp plays? Date: 11/14/2012 5:45 PM
Recommendations: 2
Heck if someone could replicate the Colombian Gold or Panama Red of my youth I might just give it a go again. :<)

Not that I have any personal knowledge, but knowing a Rasta or two, I assure you that the average stuff today makes anything from anyone's youth look like a toy.

Author: rjf53 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 65460 of 73008
Subject: Re: Any interest in Marijuana / hemp plays? Date: 11/14/2012 7:22 PM
I assure you that the average stuff today makes anything from anyone's youth look like a toy.

A little truth in that but not nearly as much as you might imagine. I'd put Thai sticks up against anything they grow today and I assure you no one would complain or criticize.

My point wasn't just about potency it was about taste and the type of high.

Think coffee or tobacco if you like... taste matters.

B (Former well connected connoisseur)

Author: tamhas Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 65462 of 73008
Subject: Re: Any interest in Marijuana / hemp plays? Date: 11/14/2012 9:17 PM
I don't know where you live B, bit if you are ever in a place where they have legal medical M, I suggest a visit to discuss the "wares". I know one of the growers and one of the interesting things he has talked about is not just the overall increase in potency ... gone are the days of Illinois Green ... but the sophistication in understanding the chemical signature and its applicability to impact. My understanding is that the place I know most about solicits a lot of user feedback and has quite a database on the relationship between symptom, variety, and mode of use. In places where recreational use is legalized, I would expect the same kind of retailer to emerge, just as there are discriminating tobacconists and corner shops selling ciggies.

It is possible, of course, that Big Tobacco will get involved in brand name MJ and we will see brand name loyalty downstream here as we have seen in tobacco. But, from an investment perspective, I expect that we have some years of local and regional suppliers to look forward to before we get anything investable ... at least in terms of publicly traded companies. Now, if you want to help finance your local grower for a share of the take and first choice of the crop, that is a different matter!

Author: mp102 One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 65469 of 73008
Subject: Re: Any interest in Marijuana / hemp plays? Date: 11/15/2012 11:12 PM
I recently saw an article about the sophistication of 'medical marijuana' dispensers, the main focus was this place:

http://sparcsf.org/medicine/flowers

It seems that the beer market could be a good analogy. A few large brands (Bud, Coors, etc) and a thriving micro brew type market. mmm, beer...

The moat for legal marijuana will likely be permitting and regulatory approval to sell. You could see someone like a major tobacco co advocate for strict permitting and regulatory standards to keep the small/individual sellers out. Who knows, probably not worth thinking about unless legalization becomes more widespread.

- matt

Author: stockmktdouble Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 65818 of 73008
Subject: Re: Any interest in Marijuana / hemp plays? Date: 4/23/2013 11:49 PM
actually i think speculating on a marijuana stock is an excellent idea. why not? its definitely a ground floor opportunity. i think its akin to investing in alcohol before they legalized it. with that said PHOT (otc) is a real company with exponential revenue growth.

Author: PinotPete Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 65819 of 73008
Subject: Re: Any interest in Marijuana / hemp plays? Date: 4/24/2013 10:03 AM
...with that said PHOT (otc) is a real company with exponential revenue growth.

well, no arguing that a few shares won't put you back too far...

Pete

Author: auvo1001 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 65837 of 73008
Subject: Re: Any interest in Marijuana / hemp plays? Date: 5/10/2013 1:05 AM
would this article be of any merit to you guys?

http://seekingalpha.com/article/1339771-marijuana-stocks-are...

I am not sure about these stocks either, so I just throw it out there as a discussion

Author: daslobo Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 68401 of 73008
Subject: Re: Any interest in Marijuana / hemp plays? Date: 2/28/2014 11:40 AM
I'm more interested in the hemp play than MJ. The hemp plant is now legal to grow again as of the latest farm bill. I bought a basket of 18 stocks in Jan and am up big. The retail/medicinal sales companies seem to be risky but the pharma/industrial companies are killing it.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement