Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
. . . the Fool cuts? http://www.fool.com/press/2001/letter010928.htm Are any of our favorite/regular TMF's cut? Rav, Tony, Cheeze?

Ishtar
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Rav posted on another board that he is OK, Just shaky about friends losing their jobs...
Rav posted on another board that he is OK, Just shaky about friends losing their jobs...

Glad to hear that; I haven't heard any news on the boards I follow. Thanks, bosslady!

Ishtar
I think you'd be able to tell by looking at their profiles. Rav and Tony still have active profiles, so I suspect they are okay.
I know Rav is Okay for now but I don't know about the others.

Donna
No. of Recommendations: 1

Oooops...I should have read the rest of the thread before I posted.

Donna :-)
I think you'd be able to tell by looking at their profiles. Rav and Tony still have active profiles, so I suspect they are okay.

Not all the layoffs on this round are immediate. One of our regulars, TMF Dawn, has announced that she is among those that will be leaving, but that this is not immediate.

Her post is at http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=15830752.

-Terry
No. of Recommendations: 47
Heya,

Might as well cut through the mystery, and just spill it out...

As you've heard, there were deep cuts today, very deep cuts. Did I mention the cuts were deep?

<taking a deep breath>

Many of us were affected...actually, it's fair to say most were affected, and it's the saddest day yet from this Fool's point of view.

You won't see inactive profiles for about 2 months yet, but after that, the red line will be seen, and I'm so sorry to say that mine will be among the fallout.

But you've still got to put up with the "TMF" in front of "2Aruba" until then...you're not getting rid of me that easily. ;-)

After that, you'll find me haunting the board here under my old name, "Off2Aruba".

I know this post is of the lame variety, as the emotions are running quite high at the moment. I promise that within the next two months, I'll make an appropriately sappy post when I hand in my uniform.

I love you guys!

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba
But you've still got to put up with the "TMF" in front of "2Aruba" until then...you're not getting rid of me that easily. ;-)

After that, you'll find me haunting the board here under my old name, "Off2Aruba".

{{{{{{{{{{Tony}}}}}}}}}}

Ishtar

I love you guys!

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba

And we love you too.... (((HUG)))

Donna
I love you guys!

We love you too.

Rav

Yep, it's what I though:(

I knew I didn't want to read that last post....Tony, I'm so sorry.

I'm happy that you plan on sticking around...it just wouldn't be the same without you!

You know we all love you! You take care.

(((((((((((HUG))))))))))))))

Your Queen,

Utahtea

Does this mean we should change the Board name to Aruba's Aisle of Grievance?

Or, worse yet, Tony was the victim of a Reduction In Farce?

>:-(

Oily
Down sighsing
No. of Recommendations: 3
Or, worse yet, Tony was the victim of a Reduction In Farce?
===*===

Sssssssssssssss Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Sssssssssssssss Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

The Farce is strong in this one. We can turn him.

VaderMopp
[not worried about Tony in the least]
[not worried about Tony in the least]

Raggs, that's probably the nicest thing you ever said about me! I mean that!

Thank you. :-)

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba
Raggs, that's probably the nicest thing you ever said about me! I mean that!
===*===

The nicest thing was when Cher asked me if I knew....oh, wait, it's still the family hour. WOOT!

Raggmopp
No. of Recommendations: 10
TMF 2Aruba writes:

You won't see inactive profiles for about 2 months yet, but after that, the red line will be seen, and I'm so sorry to say that mine will be among the fallout.

Ditto what he said :(

Well, Tony old friend... we donned our belled caps at the same time five or so years ago, and we shall doff them together soon. But, this...

...this will NEVER do:

I promise that within the next two months, I'll make an appropriately sappy post when I hand in my uniform.

You simply CANNOT turn in your French maid's uniform. I won't allow it. Besides it would look just dreadful on Mr. Schwartz.

Keep the faith old pal ;-)

Cheers as always,

Jeanie
A Fool forever

You simply CANNOT turn in your French maid's uniform. I won't allow it. Besides it would look just dreadful on Mr. Schwartz.

Mr. Scwartz couldn't fill my uniform! :-D

My first thought was to hand it to Raggmopp, Jeanie, but after much thought, I realized that the shiny frills on the collar would clash with his shiny pate.

So, I'm a-keeping it! Heck, you well know that Queen Utahtea is going to still be giving me royal orders to serve the drinks here on the Isle. That's one job that must continue. :-)

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba
So, I'm a-keeping it! Heck, you well know that Queen Utahtea is going to still be giving me royal orders to serve the drinks here on the Isle. That's one job that must continue. :-)

Tony,

No one could fill your uniform like you do and I'm not just talking about size!

You betcha on the drinks:) As far as I'm conserned this is STILL YOUR ISLE and nothing is going to change my mind on that!

Utahtea

....but I am still
Her Royal Majesty the Queen

Dammit...
No. of Recommendations: 4

Sorry to hear that, Tony. Yours was one of the profiles I checked today, feeling relieved that all I checked were still active until I heard about the 60 day notice. Look at it this way--you're joining some terrific people.

Phil

the erstwhile TMF ExRO
Sorry to hear that, Tony. Yours was one of the profiles I checked today, feeling relieved that all I checked were still active until I heard about the 60 day notice. Look at it this
way--you're joining some terrific people.

Tony, among the Former Fools you've got good company (well, if you don't count me :) ) Barbara Bayer, Karen, Judy, Jeanie, Rick... I'm sorry to see you guys cut. There really isn't anyone left that I was friends with except Jeff. I think he's part-time now, isn't he?

I remember the first Fool gathering I went to at the Marriott Ranch in Virginia in 1995. There was so much excitement and hope... It's sad to see how things turned out, isn't it? BTW, remember in Alexandria how we were counting our millions on our stock options based on what Mycroft did as an analysis? It was only about a year and a half ago! Maybe that's what did it, we counted our money before leaving the table (always bad luck). OK, it's our fault. Sorry everybody.

George
Ditto what he said :(

Well, Tony old friend... we donned our belled caps at the same time five or so years ago, and we shall doff them together soon.

Oh Jeanie, (sniff) I'm so sorry.

I'll miss you. But you'll still hang around on the boards, won't you.

Nancy
trying to think of another place where the people who were laid off keep hanging around just to be friends.
mine will be among the fallout.

Oh Tony, bummer!

I'm sorry to hear that. I know you'll still hang around, though, and keep us entertained.

Nancy

I will reply to this when I calm down, if I write what I am feeling now, what I said they should to Bin Ladin would look tame in comparision.

Deannda
Throughly MEOWED OFF!
Tony,

What a bummer. I'm sorry to hear you're not going to be a TMFer but glad you'll still be around.

Bob
Where'd this gonoph come from? And where'd he get the idea anyone at the Fool would tell him to put his whole piggy bank in one stock?

Bob
...NOT TO MENTION ALL THE SHOUTING
Tony,

I am soo sorry to hear that. You were an amazing member of my fool community and I loved every witty word that you type. You are incredibly level-headed when emotions run high, incredibly welcoming to new comers to the Fool community, and your subtle plugs for Motley products always reminded me of the importance of giving back to the community that gave me so much. If the economy turns back around I hope that you will once again out on the Motley uniform. We will be here when you are looking around again (if you do) for a replacement job for the income that you are losing to give YOU suppport-for a change. And we will be here when you have to turn the Fool down when they re-offer you your position because you found something that fulfills you twice as much.

Good Luck and thank you for all your support to us.

Mangard
Sorry to hear that, Tony. Yours was one of the profiles I checked today, feeling relieved that all I checked were still active until I heard about the 60 day notice. Look at it this way--you're joining some terrific people.

Phil, I'm joining a group of awesome people for whom I have the utmost respect.

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba
I remember the first Fool gathering I went to at the Marriott Ranch in Virginia in 1995. There was so much excitement and hope... It's sad to see how things turned out, isn't it? BTW, remember in Alexandria how we were counting our millions on our stock options based on what Mycroft did as an analysis? It was only about a year and a half ago! Maybe that's what did it, we counted our money before leaving the table (always bad luck). OK, it's our fault. Sorry everybody.

ROFL!!!

Ahh, were we lost or what, George! LOL!

But you left out one part...

You forgot to mention that when I told you the numbers and calculations that Mycroft came up with, you told me, "You know, I came up with the same thing!!"

I think you both had faulty calculators! ;-) But you gotta admit, fantasizing is fun while it lasts. :-)

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba
Sorry to hear that, Tony. Yours was one of the profiles I checked today

Tony:

I did the same as Phil and felt relieved for a short time. I'm sorry to hear the news but glad to know that you intend to stay around. We at the BBB were delighted when Phil never missed a day, even after the TMF was dropped from his author name! (Good soul that he is, he still provides tax advice for Fools on the Tax Strategies Board.)

I just know that you would be terribly missed if you didn't keep pushing that Miracle Whip here on this Board!

Best wishes,

Christina
You forgot to mention that when I told you the numbers and calculations that Mycroft came up with, you told me, "You know, I came up with the same thing!!"

Uh...Tony, weren't talking about that part of the conversation... :) So much for fantasies, I used to fantasize that Raquel Welch would run away with me. She never did, but knowing my luck she'll show up on my front door in about 10 years when she's old and wrinkly.

George
Uh...Tony, weren't talking about that part of the conversation... :) So much for fantasies, I used to fantasize that Raquel Welch would run away with me. She never did, but knowing my luck she'll show up on my front door in about 10 years when she's old and wrinkly.

And you won't be old and wrinkly, George? ;-)

I can empathize with you, I'm still waiting for Cher to call me. :-P

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba
And you won't be old and wrinkly, George? ;-)

He already is, I met him.

Deannda
Oh wait, so are you and me, EEK!
Nancy
trying to think of another place where the people who were laid off keep hanging around just to be friends.

Nancy (and all ex & soon-to-be-ex TMFs):

Why don't you start a new board now for all ex TMFs so that not only you folks can keep up with each other but so the rest of us can keep up with you & see how you're doing. I'm afraid we'll lose touch when you revert to your "regular" names & we won't know who you are/were. (If that makes any sense!).

My sympathy to all of you, and to the Gardners, too.

Lucy
I just know that you would be terribly missed if you didn't keep pushing that Miracle Whip here on this Board!

Well, let's not get carried away.

Phil

Mayo for me, thenk yew veddy much

Phil, doncha know that on this board we...

Hold the Mayo?

(and boy, does it make our hands greasy!)

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba

I'm with you, Phil. I nay use low-fat mayo (not low-sodium - ugh) but I still prefer that to Miracle Whip.

But I just know that Tony will sing the praises (as he sees them) of Miracle Whip given the opportunity.

Christina, not holding the mayo
I'm with you, Phil. I nay use low-fat mayo (not low-sodium - ugh) but I still prefer that to Miracle Whip.

But I just know that Tony will sing the praises (as he sees them) of Miracle Whip given the opportunity.

Christina, not holding the mayo

But Christina!!

You're a New Yorker, same as me!

All NY'ers prefer the tangy taste of MW over the other leading brands!

(Some much to teach, so little time)

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba
You're a New Yorker, same as me!

Sorry, Tony, but even when I was as much a New Yorker as you, MW didn't earn my praises, nor coverage on my sandwiches. Living in VA hasn't changed that opinion either. I do hope, however, that my having sent the Cher picture will offset any disapproval <g>.

~~ Alison
I do hope, however, that my having sent the Cher picture will offset any disapproval <g>.

Well....

it didn't hoit. ;-)

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba

Tony:

Wherever you read this, THEY LIED!

Christina
Why don't you start a new board now for all ex TMFs so that not only you folks can keep up with each other

We already have that in a top-secret location. :-)

Kaiti
*and any newly X'd TMFs who've forgotten the location can email me for it*
We already have that in a top-secret location. :-)
===*===

Yeah but they all use such bad language on that sight. : Þ

'Mopp

Oh Jeanie, (sniff) I'm so sorry.

I'll miss you. But you'll still hang around on the boards, won't you.

Nancy, I began this journey into Fooldom back in '95 as JeanieMac and I fully expect that you'll see me online with that moniker again after November 30. The Fool has always been more than a job -- it's been a habit and a habitat. Too many wonderful, inspiring, smart people in this community for me to tear myself away.

It was never about the paycheck. It's the payoff from knowing - and learning - from folks like you :-)

Thanks for the kind words!

Cheers,

Jeanie
Aruba,

So sad to hear your news.

I did check your profile when I heard the Fool news, and was falsely hopeful for you.

I know how much you loved your job here at the Fool.

Thinking of you,

Petey
London, England
Was there a foolish announcement to the community about this? I cannot find it on the homepage.

Cutting the new CEO seems a prenoucement of something...

Petey
Tony,

Even though I don't "hang" out on Aruba's Isle of Revenge, I have always enjoyed your posts on other boards. I'm guessing that TMFers are assigned boards to monitor or participate with us Fools (and some other fools). I haven't seen you on the DRiP boards in quite awhile, but I have been referred to some of your posts (like the one with your students dealing with the WTC tragedy) via the other boards (such as the BBB).

I am glad you will be sticking around TMF dispensing your valuable insight for all to share. I'll make sure to add Off2Aruba to my favorites...but will not delete TMF2Aruba from the list.

Odee

Who can I write a complaint letter to?

Love you Tony!

jenniebez
No. of Recommendations: 34
Dear Tony,

I'm not one of the most eloquent writers here on this board. Often I struggle to find the right words to say. I hope you understand. I just felt I needed to write something after reading the news about you losing you job at TMF.

One of my first posts on TMF was on the credit card board. I had a question about how to deal with the theft of my credit cards. You answered with a wealth of information in a gracious manner. Following your instructions and encouragement, I was able to resolve my fraud problem.

While I was there, I started reading post about how to get rid of my credit card debt. Through the encouragement from you and others, I decided to tackle the huge mountain of debt I had accrued. In all the post I read from you, I saw a kind, person who wanted to focus on people improving their financial situation, not the failures of how they got in trouble.

While the struggle was tough for me, eventually I was able to succeed in getting rid of over $30,000 in debt. Your advice was always well thought out and you often interlaced this with some fun and humor along the way.

During my struggles, I came across your board, “Aruba's Island of Revenge”. This is still my favorite board. Sure there has been some heated debates and I'm sure I've ruffled a few people here and there, but overall the people who post to this board are as kind and as caring as you. The people who I have met here have always made a bad day seem not so bad.

While I understand the financial reasons for what TMF did. I still feel sorrow and pain from what these layoffs have caused. While some people will feel that one person was no more important than another at TMF, from my prospective it is different.

The advice you provided me and your humor along the way kept me going toward my financial freedom. For all of this I am truly grateful. Words cannot express my gratitude I feel.

You have truly embodied the motto of The Motley Fool: “To Educate, Amuse and Enrich”. I have been educated, enriched, and most certainly definatly amused by you. Thank you for all the kind words and encouragement you have provided. I wish you the best of luck in the future.

Sincerely,

Lenny
…Debt free since Jan 2000

Sorry, you can only recommend a post to the Best of once so stop clicking the $#%@^ "Recommend it" link already!

-Terry

No. of Recommendations: 3
Terry,

Sorry, you can only recommend a post to the Best of once so stop clicking the $#%@^ "Recommend it" link already!

My sentiments exactly. Lenny's post was excellent. And he said he wasn't one of the most eloquent writers. Yeah right!

Donna
Hi Tony,

I'm a frequent visitor of the credit card board and have always found your posts enlightening, encouraging and informative. I enjoy getting responses from you and think that you are a true gem to the TMF community.

I wish you the best in the future and look forward to seeing your future posts.

Sadly,

lekia2
Lenny's post was excellent. And he said he wasn't one of the most eloquent writers. Yeah right!

I always think I will sound like an idiot when I write something. While I often write from my heart, I always fear it will sound sappy and stupid to others when read in public.

Thanks for the compliment....

Lenny
Tony, love you as the rest do.
And don't worry if you run out of money . . you can always Charge It! (tee hee)

joycets
Lenny,

You are very welcome.

Donna
Aruba,

So sad to hear your news.

I did check your profile when I heard the Fool news, and was falsely hopeful for you.

I know how much you loved your job here at the Fool.

Thinking of you,

Petey
London, England

Hi Petey!

Thank you!

You're right, I've loved every minute of this job for the last 6 years. But as far as I'm concerned, only the name will change. As Jeanie so aptly said, it was never about the paycheck, that was just gravy. It's about learning and having fun with people like you.

:-)

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba
Tony,

Even though I don't "hang" out on Aruba's Isle of Revenge, I have always enjoyed your posts on other boards. I'm guessing that TMFers are assigned boards to monitor or participate with us Fools (and some other fools). I haven't seen you on the DRiP boards in quite awhile, but I have been referred to some of your posts (like the one with your students dealing with the WTC tragedy) via the other boards (such as the BBB).

I am glad you will be sticking around TMF dispensing your valuable insight for all to share. I'll make sure to add Off2Aruba to my favorites...but will not delete TMF2Aruba from the list.

Odee, the fact that you don't hang out here, but yet came here to post this message put a huge smile on my face.

I don't know how valuable any of my insight has been, but the last 6 years has been a true delight. I'm hoping the next 6 will be just as delightful! :-)

Thanks, Odee!

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba

Beautifully put, Mr Aruba!

I have been down, partly the Fool news, partly other life issues but your post made me smile.

Petey

Hi Petey!

Thank you!

You're right, I've loved every minute of this job for the last 6 years. But as far as I'm concerned, only the name will change. As Jeanie so aptly said, it was never about the paycheck, that was just gravy. It's about learning and having fun with people like you.

:-)

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba
No. of Recommendations: 8
Ahhh, Lenny...

I'm just so touched by all this love being shown me, and I'm really so very moved. To think that I played any part in helping you...well, that's what it's all been about, and what I hope will continue to be.

But I've got to tell you, and everyone else that I know I'm speaking for all of here when I say that it's been a two-way street. I'm being told by so many what I've given, but I need to tell you that I've been the recipient here too. The friendships I've made both online and offline are more valuable to me than you can imagine. I'm tempted to start listing the names of all of the people in the community who've impacted my life so strongly, but I won't because the thought of accidentally leaving just one name out would be so troubling to me.

Lenny, your posts, for example. You don't know how I've smiled and enjoyed every one of them. What fun it's been hearing of your jaunts with the Mrs. (and of course, the delightful Jessica!) as you've traveled far and wide. Don't think for a second that I haven't learned tons from you also.

You've been hearing Jeanie, Cheeze...all of us saying how much fun this ride has been for us. How wonderful it is to have a job where you just can't wait to get to work. It's the people who post on the boards that made it this way, and that's why the thanks should be to YOU, not to me.

I can honestly say that come November 30th, all that really will happen is that my name will change. I need to be here to hear your stories, check in with everyone...even keep up with Raggmopp's reality checks. No one keeps things in perspective as he does. ;-)

Now see what you've gone and done? I'm getting all sappy here, and I'm not ready for that!

And Lenny....make sure you stay debt-free, or I'll track you down! ;-)

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba
check in with everyone...even keep up with Raggmopp's reality checks. No one keeps things in perspective as he does. ;-)
===*===

Once we've successfully deprogrammed you, things will look different. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA WOOT! : Þ

Attila the Mopp
Scourge of Fooldom

Tony, love you as the rest do.
And don't worry if you run out of money . . you can always Charge It! (tee hee)

Hmmmmm......I could charge it to Debt-Free-Lenny! :-D

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba
The cuts must be rather drastic to reach you. I always look forward to reading your posts. I am glad you will still be around. Words excape me at the moment so I can't really express what I feel or think.

Eugene
Advertisement