UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: kaudrey Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 918  
Subject: Any nonfiction book ideas? Date: 1/24/2007 8:43 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hi,

I'm on a non-fiction kick these days, and am looking for ideas.

I like true adventure stories, historical stuff (but generally not war books), and avoid books by politicians.

Things I've read lately that I have liked, to give you an idea:

Manhunt - the search for Booth after Lincoln was shot
Krakatoa - story of a huge volcano eruption a long time ago
Between a Rock and a Hard Place - about a guy who got trapped while canyoneering and had to cut off his arm to break free.

I also liked Into Thin Air a few years ago.

So, any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Karen
Print the post Back To Top
Author: maracle Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 906 of 918
Subject: Re: Any nonfiction book ideas? Date: 2/1/2007 4:42 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
You might try Killing Pablo...about the effort to find and kill Pablo Escobar in Colombia.

Or Catch Me If You Can...very entertaining, you may have seen the movie with Leonardo DiCaprio.

Also, any book by Jon Krakauer. His most well known is Into Thin Air, about a disastrous attempt to summit Everest. I hear his other books are good too.

Author: jakalant Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 907 of 918
Subject: Re: Any nonfiction book ideas? Date: 2/3/2007 8:44 PM
How about "Mayflower" by Philbrick? I Liked it.

Jack

Author: kaudrey Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 908 of 918
Subject: Re: Any nonfiction book ideas? Date: 2/5/2007 7:55 AM
Thanks for the ideas! I did read Into Thin Air, but not his others...

Karen

Author: feedmeNOWhuman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 909 of 918
Subject: Re: Any nonfiction book ideas? Date: 2/5/2007 2:52 PM
How about Touching the Void? Mountain climbing accident death defying situation, also made into a great movie.

Author: eastender Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 910 of 918
Subject: Re: Any nonfiction book ideas? Date: 2/5/2007 4:37 PM
Hi Karen,

A great book is My Serengeti Years by Myles Turner. It is his memoir of his time as a game warden in Africa.

I enjoyed it thoroughly.

Cheers,
eastender

Author: kaudrey Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 911 of 918
Subject: Re: Any nonfiction book ideas? Date: 2/5/2007 8:37 PM
I own Touching the Void! Thanks.

My Serengeti Years sounds good. I'll add that to the list.

At the library over the weekend I got a book about Leonardo Da Ponte (sp?), who wrote lyrics for Mozart's operas and was friends with Casanova...

Author: Kestrel2 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 912 of 918
Subject: Re: Any nonfiction book ideas? Date: 2/8/2007 3:53 PM
If you haven't read Shadow Divers by Robert Kurson that came out a couple of years ago, I highly recommend it. Also, I just finished The River of Doubt, about Theodore Roosevelt's journey on an unexplored Amazon river, and thought it was pretty good.

Author: GeoGoddess Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 913 of 918
Subject: Re: Any nonfiction book ideas? Date: 3/15/2007 3:56 PM
Karen wrote (way back in January) I'm on a non-fiction kick these days, and am looking for ideas.

Anything by John McPhee. He's a staff writer for the New Yorker and has written 27 non-fiction books. He selects the most seemingly uninteresting subjects, follws up with copious research and writes lyrically about anything from oranges to trucks. I'll read any book he ever writes, even if it makes me feel inadequate as a wanna-be writer. When I'm in charge of the world his muse/talent will be invested in someone else when he "passes". (I'm not superstitious, but it made me a tad nervous to even think about writing that!)

McFan,
Sara

Author: kaudrey Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 914 of 918
Subject: Re: Any nonfiction book ideas? Date: 3/20/2007 11:31 AM
Thanks Sara.

Since I posted, I read a biography of Lorenzo Da Ponte, who was Mozart's opera librettist, and am now reading Ship of Ghosts, which was recommended here. I like it so far. I haven't had much time to read lately, so it takes a while!

But I always like more ideas.

Karen

Author: MakePigsFly Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 915 of 918
Subject: Re: Any nonfiction book ideas? Date: 3/22/2007 8:41 PM
I just read "Devil in the White City" which is about the construction of the 1893 Chicago World's Fair. There is a parallel story about a really creepy mass murderer strung through it. Not a brilliant book but really interesting.

Author: kaudrey Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 916 of 918
Subject: Re: Any nonfiction book ideas? Date: 3/26/2007 2:55 PM
Sounds interesting...I'll add it to my list!

Thanks,
Karen

Author: Hetepheres Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 917 of 918
Subject: Re: Any nonfiction book ideas? Date: 4/5/2009 6:39 PM
I like true adventure stories, historical stuff (but generally not war books), and avoid books by politicians.

I've been reading "Lords of Finance" and it might be along your lines - historical, connected to, but not about war per se, and very informative and interesting.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement