Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: UnkaBob Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 63762  
Subject: Any opinions on Pengrowth Date: 12/10/2012 12:39 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I have always considered this trust/company to be too pricy for me while my brother considered it a cash-cow over the last twenty years. He asked my opinion on it when the price hit $7.00 and I have been following it since then.
I have a basket full of losers in the oil-patch (don't ask about Perpetual)but this may be the way establish a steady income at $5.80 per share. The bargains will end at Christmas or it is just part way down.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Bob
Print the post Back To Top
Author: IKan Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63115 of 63762
Subject: Re: Any opinions on Pengrowth Date: 12/11/2012 7:26 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
I have not followed it much for a while now.
But a few thoughts:

$4.87 close price today and still in a bit of a downtrend. I could go sideways now with strong potential to go down more.

The price of Nat Gas looks like it will go down a bit more so this will not helps Pen's price.

I would not touch it yet, if anytime soon.

They recently stopped their Premium portion of their DRIP plan to save some moola. They reduced the dividend recently.

It comes down to the management and your thoughts on them and their track record and potential going forward. They are making acquisitions but are they enough? Oil is in the $80 range and they are losing money or at least not doing well does not bode well.

Many companies in the same industry are having difficulties so what makes it one of the better ones of the breed? All considering that fracking of oil and gas has produced an abundance, or at least provides for a lot more, of the commodities on the market now.

IKan

Author: UnkaBob Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63116 of 63762
Subject: Re: Any opinions on Pengrowth Date: 12/12/2012 11:51 AM
Ikan:
You have basicly covered all of my concerns.
On the other hand, it has paid a dividend for an extended time and if the present divi were halved it would still have a decent yeild at this price. This is the theory that I used when I bought heavily into Perpetual and it has risen to almost half of what I paid for it.

It's hard to believe that I wish that I could find a 4% GIC these days. My cash cows are Husky, Fortis preferred, Hawaiian Electric and Noranda (with grave reservations). I am watching Freeport MacMoran at $30.

The palm trees are beckoning and although hotel prices are up 40% in Waikiki, I found a crash-pad at half of last year's price. Not a place that my wife would have approved of.

Bob

Author: RockyMountainMan Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Global Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63117 of 63762
Subject: Re: Any opinions on Pengrowth Date: 12/13/2012 1:34 AM
Been watching Pengrowth too. I own it through a DRIP but it has cut its divvy once recently. The market expects it will again. I did send a few more bucks its way recently based on its history of being reliable div payer. I can wait out the bumps...if they are bumps.

On another topic, did you have to bring up Perpetual?!! I synthetically DRIP that one for a few years on the way down. What a disaster.

RMM

Author: tim443 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63118 of 63762
Subject: Re: Any opinions on Pengrowth Date: 12/13/2012 8:07 AM
Recommendations: 0
On another topic, did you have to bring up Perpetual?!! I synthetically DRIP that one for a few years on the way down. What a disaster.

RMM

Amen on that one, I never considered that the Nat gas downturn would turn into such a long term process. }};-()

A couple of my TFSA holdings Penn West and Enerplus are suffering from both Nat gas and the WCS discount. Hopefully pipelines away from Cushing glut are "on the way".

I bought a bunch of Canyon Services (FRC.to) in my trading account in mid-november. I also bought some earlier in the year in my TFSA with the dregs of my PMT money that I sold. They raised their dividend by 150% earlier in the year and are growing the business with cashflow rather than debt. Not a recommendation as I don't do that anymore.

http://www.google.ca/finance?q=TSE%3AFRC&ei=FM7JUJCmN9Su...

My position in Hercules Offshore (HERO) a US shallow offshore driller has done well (up over 32%) but its not a divy payer so will probably get sold shortly as I need to move more into the TFSA.

My current fav dividend payer and largest position is still Altagas but it is too large to add to. Their Nat gas pipeline to Kitimat is exploring a massive increase in capacity in hopes of grabbing a good part of potential LNG exports.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/altagas-ltd-provides-major-pro...

AltaGas also announced today that its wholly owned subsidiary Pacific Northern Gas Ltd. (PNG) is carrying out feasibility studies for further expansion of its pipeline system to approximately 600 MMcf/d. The PNG natural gas distribution system is the only natural gas pipeline from the producing regions in Alberta and BC to the west coast of Canada in service today.

Some of you might be interested in dropping in to the Mining and Metals board as Papa Smurf is running a copy of the WayneOwl "dirt" competition.

http://boards.fool.com/resurrection-of-the-wayneowl-dirt-con...

Tim

Author: UnkaBob Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63119 of 63762
Subject: Re: Any opinions on Pengrowth Date: 12/13/2012 11:26 AM
Tim:
I bought perpetual as a cash-supply just before it crapped out. My opinion is that either it will come back in the next year or so or the family will take it private and $crew the shareholders at the very bottom.
Ivernia and Cline mining have soured me on mining and offshore investments.
A five-year 5% GIC would be nirvana for me.

Bob

Author: IKan Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63120 of 63762
Subject: Re: Any opinions on Pengrowth Date: 12/13/2012 11:41 AM
My view on Perpertual is and was that they were a 1 horse player and that was Natgas (obviously). When fracking became a norm and they had not entered into it they were doomed.

It was clear writing on the wall to me. But even I had trouble conceding this and selling early on.

The new abundance and over supply of gas will keep its price down and Perpetual's price.

Their attempts to diversify into oil and fracking have not helped to date and may not going forward. This could improve slowly with time.

I prefer utilities and distributions companies.

Similar for Pengrowth imo.
IKan

Author: tim443 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63121 of 63762
Subject: Re: Any opinions on Pengrowth Date: 12/13/2012 12:05 PM
A five-year 5% GIC would be nirvana for me.

Bob

Good luck with that, why don't you just buy bank stocks? Just find which one of the big five is paying the highest dividend and load up on it.

Even if we do get a really cold winter and increasing US electricity production with Nat gas cuts into the glut I don't think PMT would be in a rush to put on more than a token dividend?

LNG shipping from the West coast will take a few years (3-5?) to crank up if they can get the pipes and plants approved?

Tim

Author: jesting2 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63122 of 63762
Subject: Re: Any opinions on Pengrowth Date: 12/13/2012 12:28 PM
Better still, consider the BMO Cover Calls Banks ETF (ZWB-T) which is currently producing a yield of almost 6% if memory serves me well.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-investor/markets/stocks...

Bob

Author: DrtThrwingMonkey Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63123 of 63762
Subject: Re: Any opinions on Pengrowth Date: 12/13/2012 1:49 PM
... new abundance and over supply of gas will keep its price down and Perpetual's price.

How long will Perpetual's price stay low?

The answer almost writes itself.

DTM, long PMT for what seems like forever

Author: UnkaBob Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63124 of 63762
Subject: Re: Any opinions on Pengrowth Date: 12/13/2012 2:20 PM
Bob:
I have a firm dislike for the banks. The term "Bankster" is not totally unearned.
Your suggestion of Fortis preferreds has worked out well for me. I will check it out.
Thanks

Bob (listening to Hawaiian records)

Author: jesting2 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63125 of 63762
Subject: Re: Any opinions on Pengrowth Date: 12/13/2012 4:15 PM
Recommendations: 2
Bob;

An aversion to banks may be hazardous to your wealth. However, if you want to stay away from banks completely, you can do just about as well with Enbridge Income Fund:

It has a dividend of 5.71%, a 1 year total return of 26.06%.

Or perhaps Exchange Income Fund:

It has a dividend of 6.38% and a 1 year total return of 14.63%.

Just a couple that I have in my portfolio that you can check out.

It might be time to cash in you oil patch losers and invest in something that has capital growth and pays a good dividend.

Bob

Author: UnkaBob Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63134 of 63762
Subject: Re: Any opinions on Pengrowth Date: 12/17/2012 5:28 PM
Bob:
The Exchange Income Fund looks a tad iffy to me. The "bush airline" business has usually been a loser in my opinion. Maybe that is because I know a former owner of one.
Their price-earnings ratio of 27 leaves me cold and their balance sheet on globe investor has 20% intangable assets. I respect your opinion but I get the impression of "smoke and mirrors". You were much closer to the tech bubble of 2001 but my cynisysm saved my butt then.

Enbridge Income Fund looks somewhat more reasonable to me. I am taking a close look at it.

I bought some Pengrowth today at $4.80 so everyone can expect the divi to be cancelled and the price to rise like a stone on a summer breeze.

Bob

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement