Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: pmarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121477  
Subject: Re: Large JTWROS Account Date: 8/22/2003 5:55 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 20
Any suggestions on how to re-approach this with our father

Just one. Don't.

This no doubt sounds strange coming from one of the biggest nags about estate planning, but having been to hell and back trying to get my 90 year old father to stop driving, I know the type you're dealing with. He's not going to change, so the only behavior you can modify is your own.

The good news is that, as has been previously explained, you have no tax or legal issues at the moment. Your lives will be more complicated than necessary when he dies or becomes incapacitated, but people get through it all the time.

You might want to consult a lawyer on your own to discuss durable power of attorney issues. AFAIK since his accounts are in joint tenancy there's nothing to stop you and your brother from managing his funds if he becomes incapacitated, but getting some legal assurance on that ahead of time would be wise.

If you haven't done so already, you should approach your father about living will/health care power of attorney issues. If the time comes that you have to speak for him, you'll feel much better knowing that you're doing what he wanted.

On a personal note, enjoy the ride. It sounds like you're dealing with a character, and that can be a joy and a curse. I used to calm myself with "I know the day will come that I'd give anything to have him aggravate me one more time." Now that the day is here, I'm glad that I concentrated on the good.

Phil
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Implications of the Ballad of Ted Plotz
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement