No. of Recommendations: 4
Any thoughts. Even sharing some of your experiences being OOTFL always yields some interesting reading.

One big question popped into my head when I saw your ages. Do you plan to ever have kids? If so, there are major decisions to be taken into account if you have kids. It's still very possible to FIRE with kids, and MOOTFL is extremely desirable, and we've done both.

That being said, it does change matters, and you are both very young. Even if you say now that you never plan to have kids, these are decisions that you may rethink later on. Sandman was 49 and I was 34 when we had kids. You should have seen the ribbing we took when I got pregnant. I had been told for years that I couldn't have kids so neither of us had any plans for children. When we went to see the doctors, there had been a couple breakthroughs in the previous few years, and they were able to handle the pregnancy.

By the time the kids came along, we were both at an age that MOOTFL sounded really good. I came home to be with the kids, and homeschool them. Sandman continued working for a couple years. The girls are now 9 & 11 and we're looking at what we're going to do when we ship them off to college. Sandman went back to work a few years ago when I threatened him with divorce (he didn't take RE as well as he thought he would <grin>), so he drives a school bus now and he loves it (I think the retirement fried his brain).

We lead a VERY "out of the fast lane" lifestyle. We do a lot of gardening. Not only is it fun and educational for the kids, it's also a major portion of our food supply. We have a menagerie of critters, and a few beehives. I homeschool the kids, take them to their various activities, and generally take care of things. I volunteer in a number of things, and that keeps my brain from turning to goop. On the weekends, we do a "divide and conquer" thing and Sandman takes one kid to her game and I take the other. Sometimes, he goes golfing, and relaxes with some buddies.

We travel and go on vacations and such. We've taken the girls on a couple cruises, and truth be told, they've probably been to more countries than most adults. They've been to Mayan ruins, and snorkeling in Cozumel. They've been in a submarine, and flown an airplane. they are on a robotics team, and I'm their coach. I'm a Search & Rescue diver, and they are both trying to get their basic scuba certifications. Both girls already work as soccer refs, and enjoy that immensely. It's a sedate, but nice lifestyle. We're busy, but it's a different kind of busy from most folks.

As I stated earlier, when talking about MOOTFL, Sandman and I are so far out of the fast lane that we're on the side of the road having a picnic.
HTH,
Kathleen
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement